Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering a vs ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs series 3 v6 ute
Hi. I am thinking of lowering my 2000 vs v6 ute which is currently sitting at stock height. I was thinking of putting king spring superlows in the back and lows in the front and was wondering if anyone else has pictures of a ute with this set up or any suggestions.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm not a fan of Kings as the ride is too harsh and SL Kings will be shocking. Stock is bad enough. If i was lowering my ute I'd go for FE2.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'm not a fan of Kings as the ride is too harsh and SL Kings will be shocking. Stock is bad enough. If i was lowering my ute I'd go for FE2.

What he said !

Also lowering the rear further down than the front is simply stupid engineering and just another red flag to the constabulary to pull you over and throw the book at you and rightly so.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Ive had a search online and was wondering where i could get some fe2 suspension from? Thanks

All the brands do springs.

Yeap , l totally agree = and that's from experience = l have kings in mine = superlows ( I think) in front = lower than fe2 and rear is slightly higher than fe2 .= sits higher in the rear but similar guard to tyre gap.
= see my ride thread photos for reference.

Heard lovalls springs are dam nice = better ( had them in a lancia beta coupe) and were fantastic.
Thinking of when money/ and frustration eventually kick in getting some lovalls at similar heights

I should add this is on a ute/ maloo!!

Great on a smooth road but probably a backwards step on bad/ questionable roads or poor conditions.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pedders or lovells ride nicer...tried freebie st of kings & totally hated the harshness.Do like pedders comfort shocks though.

Adjustable panhard will be needed & probably shorter bumpstops as well as shorter travel rear shocks.

Only place to get fe2 now is 2nd hand...got fe2 in v8 ute,still tad harsh but miles in front of kings springs that didn't last 1 day.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Pedders or lovells ride nicer...tried freebie st of kings & totally hated the harshness.Do like pedders comfort shocks though.

Adjustable panhard will be needed & probably shorter bumpstops as well as shorter travel rear shocks.

Only place to get fe2 now is 2nd hand...got fe2 in v8 ute,still tad harsh but miles in front of kings springs that didn't last 1 day.

Definitely need shorter bump stops and shocks= ( as suit that travel range) , adjustable panhard bar=probably really only if going lower than fe2/ or equivalent.

Don't forget to re- set/ adjust rear brake bias after you lower it, otherwise = **** braking!!!

Again if a ute!!

Last edited:

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
I have SL kings in the front and SSL kings in the rear, and Monroe gas all round and it rides nice.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Great on a smooth road but probably a backwards step on bad/ questionable roads or poor conditions.
Yep that's why i say avoid Kings. Last set i had took 12 months to loosen up. They are cheap and that's all they have going for them.
On Tas roads even stock ute springs are bad enough. I'm used of it but the wife hates the pounding her back and bum get. Hate to think what it would be like if i fitted Kings. Been there and done that and never again.....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Mine needed panhard adjustment with fe2 as wheels rubbed...didn't really need bumpstops as still had decent clearance although brakes were farkin' shocking & was first ute I've ever had to measure/adjust bias chain thing...usually got away with putting in same spot as factory doing ol' eyeball looks close enough.

Brother's vs maloo was reasonably low & almost uncontrollable when kicked down under full throttle all because it had standard bumpstops...it bottomed out then unsettle rear end badly.