Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering A Vt

S

sikvlturbo

hi

i've heard its difficult to lower a vt and theres quite a bit of mucking around

can someone please tell me how they are lowered

P

Phil

G'day sikvlturbo,

The only thing I know of is if your lowering a vt (series1 or 2) by 2inches or more you should seriously consider fitting an adjustable Camber/Caster kit to the rear independant setup. If you dont the rear wheels end up with an agressive negative camber, this will cause premature tyre wear on the insides. Other than that its just fit your new suspension.. Get a wheel alignment and your set..

Maybe some others out there have had a different experiance...

Cheers,

Locksmiff

Reaction score
QUOTE (sikvlturbo @ Nov 17 2003, 07:03 PM) hi

i've heard its difficult to lower a vt and theres quite a bit of mucking around

can someone please tell me how they are lowered
Just like any other car I think. The mucking around ya reffering to would most likely be camber kits for the bum as the tyres are reknowned for srubbing on the IRS diff cars if you dont.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
dont quote me on this but iv'e heard if you lower it too much it throws the diff to the right and can cause major probs

P

Phil

Sorry for this post on diff placement.. I was not entirly correct. I had read several reports on the issue and had the info confused... long day at work (thats my excuse)... hehe...

Thanks for putting us straight Locksmiff....

One other thing to be mindfull of is if you lower it too much it can change driveline angles on the tailshaft. This could cause a vibration if not checked.. There are 3 angles to have checked. At the gearbox, the centre bearing and diff.

Phil

Locksmiff

Reaction score
Jafo is sorta correct, that only happens in live axle vehicles (non IRS) not IRS ones. You can lower a IRS car all ya want, it isnt going to shift the diff any, its going to most likely make the wheels lean inwards more and more, the more you lower it.