Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering a VY II Berlina (V8 5.7)

G

GzGenIII

Hi All,

Just wondering if you guys can give me a rough time idea of what is a fair price to get a VY II Berlina lowered to the legal limit (35 mm I think). I got a price from Pedders Keswick (Adelaide) to get 4x new springs (pedders) and 4x pedders GRS shocks all installed and lowered and wheels re-aligned would cost approx $1,430.

I got a quote from a local guy where I live to use King Springs and Monroe shocks for 1k fitted.

Is this a fair price? Any comments appreciated.

The reason I want to do this is I've just bought VZ SS 18" Mags for my car and it looks a bit weird now that the tyres are much lower profile.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Hey dude, when i got my vt berlina lowered it cost about 1k to get done.
Because of the irs in the rear, i recentley f****d 2 brand new tyres and one shocker!
Apparently they changed the set up after vx series 2 but they say they're still a bit dicey.
I had holes re-drilled a bit higher to assure that it wouldn't happen again, my brother, who also has a vy calais, is gonna take the safe option and get it done to his ride.
Might wanna check with the bloke you go with about your irs and if it should be bolstered to take the larger rims, mabye you're not as dumb as me and got that checked out already!
Cost me about 900 by the time i replaced 2 tyres and a set of shocks, spewin'! :cry:

I just want one

Reaction score
Members Ride
WANTED - VP Calais
I had Lovells sitted to my V6 VY Berlina, cost me $400 bucks and didnt have to change the shocks at all.

It rides real nice too. Lotsa people say you gotta change your shocks and add camber kits blah blah but I havent and my tyres are wearing evenly and the shocks dont bottom out.

I didnt go real low, just a tad below FE2, so dont be bullsh*tted into spenidn over a grand to get shocks of yours are still OK :thumbsup:

cheers

G

GzGenIII

Well my cars in getting done today. It's being lowered 34mm from standard. I got pedders to do the whole thing: Sports Ryda Springs and Shocks.

I just hope I don't get defected now. Pedders were telling me lowering the VY in South Australia any distance is technically illegal.

They also told me the a Brand New Monaroe's suspension (totally unmodifed) is considered illegal. Is this right? What sort of BS laws do we have here. sigh. :mad:

Anyway thanks for all the comments guys, was very helpful!

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Sounds a little bullshit to me dude, but I don't live in SA so I wouldn't know. Here, the legal height is 10mm above ground level. NOTHING can be below that.. as far as suspension goes, don't think there's much governing that. As far as shocks go, my mechanic (after the job was done) told me that holdens standard shocks are pretty crappy, and are barely passable for a road worthy. If you've done alot of kms, get them replaced (160k kms), which I doubt you would of done in a vy already.

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
GzGenIII said:
Well my cars in getting done today. It's being lowered 34mm from standard. I got pedders to do the whole thing: Sports Ryda Springs and Shocks.

I just hope I don't get defected now. Pedders were telling me lowering the VY in South Australia any distance is technically illegal.

They also told me the a Brand New Monaroe's suspension (totally unmodifed) is considered illegal. Is this right? What sort of BS laws do we have here. sigh. :mad:

Anyway thanks for all the comments guys, was very helpful!
If you are worried go over the pits and have them attach it to your rego as ok, thats what we do over here, technically any mod other than factory is illegal but if it passes the pits and you have all the mods listed and carry a copy in your glovebox then the police should have no worries with the mods as they have been passed...