Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering Motorsport/Directors

jcwdrive11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I understand this topic has been discussed before but has anyone had any luck lowering their Motorsport/director? Walkinshaw refuse to lower them as they believe it affects the MRC. Could go elsewhere but don't want to void my warranty. Thoughts?

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
There are at least 2-3 people who have done it and posted about it in the limited editions thread. One of them should pop up and post details, you could try the search function in the meantime.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I understand this topic has been discussed before but has anyone had any luck lowering their Motorsport/director? Walkinshaw refuse to lower them as they believe it affects the MRC. Could go elsewhere but don't want to void my warranty. Thoughts?
What do you mean could go somewhere other than Walkinshaw? They are not Holden, nothing to do with your car actually. Whatever BS they fed you about your warranty is just that. Shop around FFS.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
You don't void your Manufacturer warranty on the entire vehicle by making an unapproved modification to the vehicle. What you do is to limit your warranty cover on any component that fails or is damaged as a consequence of you making that modification.

Read the terms of your Holden warranty you will find in the service book. It includes a statement along these lines...............

" The Voluntary warranty does not cover damage caused by :
(e) alteration or modifications of the vehicle by anyone not authorised by Holden
(f) fitting of parts or accessories not recommended by Holden."

The operative and critical words here being "does not cover damage caused by ".

Since you have paid a lot of money for the MRC damper system I would be cautious.

In the US, Eibach has developed a lowered spring specifically for a MRC equipped Camaro SS which drops the vehicle a fraction over 1 inch. They also have lowered spring kits for Camaros without the MRC option, ie cars fitted with the standard shocks and struts. These lesser kits are definitely not designed for MRC vehicles.

GM has done the same. They offer upgraded suspension packs with lowered springs you can buy off the shelf for your Camaro with the standard suspension but these are not designed for the MRC cars. They have a separate retail suspension package specifically designed for the MRC cars which includes upgraded springs designed to work with the MRC but I don't know if it is actually a lower spring.

Eibach offers springs kits here in OZ specifically for VE and VF commodores but from what I have seen these are specifically denoted as applicable only for standard suspension commodores - not MRC equipped cars. So I would check with them to see if they have anything they could offer you for your MRC equipped car and what comments they have on fitting one of their non MRC lowered spring kits to an MRC equipped commodore.

I assume the ECU for the MRC system has been calibrated based on the amount of suspension travel allowed with the stock spring as well as the spring rate. How that electronic system system then reacts when you put in a lower spring which typically will also have a higher spring rate, and when the piston in the dampers will sit in a different position from stock, I guess is one of the questions.

As for Walkinshaw, at one stage they had a lowering kit for VE series HSV vehicles they claimed worked with MRC equipped HSVs entitled - " WP MRC Suspension lowering Kit ". Looks like nothing like this is currently offered any longer - just spring kits for vehicles without the MRC suspension.

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Leave it alone..............

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
plenty of the chevy SS guys lower with MRC. you just need to reset it after installing the springs.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I'll be going for a test drive in a mate's lowered Director before I do anything with mine. It's only aesthetics really. The handling and ride is great in standard form.

Bren66

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Motorsport
I'll be going for a test drive in a mate's lowered Director before I do anything with mine. It's only aesthetics really. The handling and ride is great in standard form.

+1 for that. MRC works great, wouldn't want to screw it up for a slightly lower look and they don't look that bad with the 20's. Gona leave mine as it is.

DIR115

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais Director

Horse Power Factory located in Dandenong say they have a lowering option for VF GTS with MRC and don't see it being an issue to fit to the Calais Director. The springs lower a GTS around 20mm, They don't have heights for Director but they feel safe to assume it would lower it by at least that amount.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Good idea, use him as the guinea pig lol