Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Lowering on 20's and 'bump stop' question

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Hi Guys,

STORY:
I had 20's on my car and had SL all round, no worries.
I wanted the car lower so got SSL in the rear, car was scrubbing and was burning plastic alot (guards already rolled).
- While the SSL were in I tested the drop of the car with my mechanic. Got in car, handbrake and brake on and accelerated.
--> What we found - The car dropped to about 10mm off the bump stops when pushed hard & the tyres were touching the rear plastic of the car.
Old springs are now back in and getting lower profile tyres to stop scrubbing, could also make it sit on bumpstop when accelrating aswell however?

QUESTION:
If when my car is planted that it drops to only 10mm off the bumpstops, what does that mean safety wise etc? any comments on the matter at all?
Also if i get 245/30/20 tyres instead of my 245/35/20 tyres now, will it actually hit the bumpstop when planted? again comments and thoughts wanted please!

Thanks guys!

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Not sure how to answer all that, but you shouldn't even have bigger than 245/30/20 to start with, you either run 245/30/20 or 225/35/20. Because wider obviously hits the guard, so it needs a smaller profile.

I have 225/35/20s, wish i got 245/30's, or even 225/30s though.. my 225/35's scrub on the front so no idea how the hell yours goes with 245 lol.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If your hitting the bump stops you have near zero suspension so I would assume rears would light up pretty easy. In addition if your constantly hitting them your bump stops won't last long, you'll gain more travel but you'll bottom out metal on metal.

I've driven on bump stops on a trip when the car was loaded to hell. Its dodgie round corners. I don't recommend it.

Chances are it doesn't drop the full 10mm on the road though. When you lock the brakes and load it up, you deliver a large amount of torque to the wheels that pulls the suspension down. Normally this is delivered to the road rather than your suspension.