Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering on a budget

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
Hey guys im gonna lowa me calais soon as am after sum quick advice. I've done a few in the past so the operation is no problem. But im not sure how low can go before u require short throw shocks!?

Also more in depth will the stock mc'pherson struts be ok to retain and will i need a sway bar or will i get away without one?

I am doing this on a relitive buget so im thinking second hand springs from wreckrs. has anyone had any probs wiff S/H springs and recomend any brands? your input would be most valuable.

also can anyone recomend a good entry level performance shock? I"ve used monroe in past seems ok. I've been told Pedders r a rip off???

And lastly i once herd sum places can simply remove your stock spring and re-coil them with heat for not much at all, is this worthwhile?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You can use standard shockers with fe2, shorter ones with superlows. Any lower than superlows and you go backwards in handling anyway so it's not worth worrying about ultras unless you are a show pony :D

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
how low is FE2? and how low r supalows? i recall its 2" FE2 and 3"supalow,but im not sure. does anyone make a 2 1/2" lower spring? and would that extra 1/2" require shorties?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
FE2 is found in SS VN's and a few others. Check the ride height of a stock VN SS and see what you think. Superlow is not much lower.

You will only require shorter shocks on the rear, not the front if you go Superlows or even Ultralows.

Monroe shocks are fine to use, they are a good brand.

Stock sway bars and struts are fine as well if all you want to do is lower the car.

Brands I would reccomend are King Springs or Lovells for that little extra. I have both and I would have to say King Springs are a much better ride, Lovells give better handling though.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you will probably need an adjustable panhard rod if you go more than the low spring (which i beleive are 35-40mm) cause if you have big rims they will rub on the gaurds at the back on the drivers side

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
immortality said:
you will probably need an adjustable panhard rod if you go more than the low spring (which i beleive are 35-40mm) cause if you have big rims they will rub on the gaurds at the back on the drivers side

Should be right with superlows but ultralows will be a different story and will scrape with 215's or 225's on the rear... I use a whiteline premium on car adjustable one. Its a great product, but weighs like 4x that of the stock one and is much larger also.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i've got s1 VT SS rims with 235/45 bags and they rub without the adjustable panhard rod

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
ThankYoU - 1991VN2NV,Immortality,Mack and Greenfoam!!! ( i think i got everybody,hehe)

Goal - Lower my stock calais (on stock 15" calais rims)

MY understanding so far -

Cheap lowering = FE2 springs only (no change in shokers required)

Option 2 = Get some king/lovells springs ( i understand there cheaper than pedders and do same job!?) . Also if i go lowa dan 2" i will require short throws on rear only.

ALso when i get big rims in future say prolly 17"s with 225 rear 215 front, i will need to get a aftermarket rear panhadrod and adjust it so the rear drivers wheel wont rub? R they hard to put in guys? thanks for all your help!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
They arent too hard to do if you can get your car up to get underneath :p

King Springs and Lovells springs are better than Pedders Springs. No Bull :p hehe

King Springs you can pick up for around $220 a set if you shop around, Lovells a tad extra.