Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lowering problems!!!!! Help needed

chris95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series 2 Calais
Hi guys, a mate and myself have fitted lower springs into a vx wagon (I have done this before on commodores) and after a test drive the car has developed a grinding noise somewhere in the drive line. This only happens when the car is in gear and not in park, but happens at a slower rate in neutral.. any ideas???

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Vx wagons have irs? Lowering something with it's can cause the driveshafts to pull out slightly. If that's the case then you'll have to fix your camber. Worst case scenario an axle pops out (happened to me) then you here a rattling clunking sound. If you here that stop the car. You'll wreck your diff.

Also sounds like it could be tyre scrubbing. When you put the car in neutral the wheels stop driving forward and the body lifts slightly. This could explain why it gets quieter.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
If it happens in neutral then it can't be the drive line. If it only happens when moving then there's a lot of ideas.

Edit: obviously I'm referring to neutral at a standstill. If you are popping it into neutral whilst rolling it could be drive line. But check the obvious, Commodores have HORRIBLE camber when lowered, and too low with certain offset or wheel widths will cause scrubbing. Get a wheel alignment and check for marks on the rim/tire.

chris95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series 2 Calais
the thing is these grinding and rubbing noises are happening at a standstill, sounds like if I drive off something will snap etc. (have not even attempted to drive since the noises started), would it be worth jacking it up on the side of the road and replacing the original suspension?

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
If nothing is moving it cant be the suspension. Bounce the rear of the car up and down and see it that makes a noise. I just assumed you had driven it.

Then double check EVERYTHING.

chris95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series 2 Calais
true that it cant be the suspension itself but maybe it has affected something else? (but what), surely it wouldn't just be a coincidence that it happened right after the car was lowered?

chris95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series 2 Calais
I've just checked the car, everything seems pretty normal, except now the car does not drive in any gear! what is going on haha

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Did you put the drive shafts in? What I mean is when lowering the rear lower control arm, you can actually detach the drive shaft to give you a bit more room to get the stock rear spring out.

So maybe, the grinding noise is the diff grinding on the shafts.

Give it a try.

Swyped from my Note 2 phablet...