Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering Ve calais V

Gmhqwn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
Just wondering if SSSL fronts and SSL rears are too low they would get attention from the popo and if it would make the back look higher than the front. Btw car is a v6

I brought them off ebay and got them today. The ad said 'SL king springs'

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Pretty sure ssl is supposed to be as low as legal, maybe even sl, sssl front and ssl rear for a v6 evens it out maybe even will be lower in the rear, make sure you get some shortened shocks too!

Gmhqwn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
Okay sweet thank you!
Any suggestions of where to get shocks from?

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Okay sweet thank you!
Any suggestions of where to get shocks from?
Either monroe GT from your local suspension shop or have who ever is fitting yohr springs order them, im guess your having someone do them as you need the compressive machine to change your fronts!

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I thought its the opposite?, going with SSL or SSSL in the rear and SL or SSL in the front etc. or is that just for V8s, I dont know whats in mine, as we couldnt find any numbers on them, but I wouldnt mind my rear dropping a bit more.

I guess it depends if you want that tuck in the rear or just a natural lowered looking vehicle :)

Last edited:

Gmhqwn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
Okay ill have a look around. Yeah i got spring compressors my partner is putting them in for me :)

Gmhqwn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
Apparently its a little different with the v8's and v6's. So many people are saying something different but i just wanted the back lowered a bit to even it out. Was bugging me that the back was higher. I got defected a few yrs ago so wanna avoid that stuff around again. Hopefully they dont sag too much further than 50mm but thanks heaps ill check out the link now

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
All I can say is don't go Monroe GT. they are sloppy and your rear end will float around and at high speed cornering will make you not confident in corners. Horrible suspension.
I put koni yellow sport adjustables in mine and they are simply brilliant. Had monroes fitted to my older Ve calais and they were junk.
Spend the extra $$$$ and get koni or even bilstiens

Kannaz83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Equipe
With the VE and VF V6's, you need to go one level lower in the front as there is less weight in the front of the V6. I recently went through this. I went king springs SSSL in the front and SSL in the rear. I also fitted sachs shortened stuts and shocks. The ride is bloody amazing compared to the stock equipe / berlina suspension. The ride is only slightly firmer on solid bumps, but the height is still very practical. a lot less body roll and IMO my car sits nicely with the 19's Ive got on it. The front looks like it could go lower but I've got 19's and 20's will fill the guards better.
The only time I have scraped is in an undercover car park up ramp that had a little metal speed bump on the peak of the up ramp as it levels out. Not enough room to take it at an angle. The car scraped on the exhaust collectors. This is the lowest point on the VE's. I am contemplating going to an exhaust shop and having the flange join changed to a slip type to get in on or over the 100mm just in case.
I haven't had any attention from the popo and the car looks level enough to me.