Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VF2 SSV Redline Sedan

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by VinnieLS3, Mar 9, 2016.

1. GMVPSS

GMVPSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
    Josh, I just realised you have MCA coilovers. I just had a stealth 'street performance' set delivered yesterday. 10kg front and rear springs.

Would you mind positing a pic of the front shock tower in the engine bay? I'd like to see how they went in. (I think I have it worked out in my mind.) Did you lubricate the aluminium surfaces when fitting them to the strut tower or just assemble dry?

Feel free to email me pics if you'd prefer? darrenp@socobell.com.au

2. NewbC4KE

NewbC4KE Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
    Hey man,

I am running the following:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-...Lowering-and-Racing-Performance-/281953908141

- Height Adjustable only ( which is good )
    - no need to stuff around with damper rates / rebound etc so nice and simple
    - zero noise
    - really comfortable
    - I would say, if my opinion means anything and I could quantity them I would say there about 25% better than the previous pedders setup I had.

and got them installed with :

http://www.centrelinesuspension.com.au/
    $400 odd installed including wheel alignment, they were awesome IMO.

3. LS1SS

LS1SS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
    Just lowed my VF lower,nothing to radical,looking for a top place to get alignment done south side Sydney,any recommendations?

4. AWRSSV

AWRSSV New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline Wagon
    Sorry to dig up old thread..

I ended up buying the pro-kit for my sportwagon after seeing your photos. It just looks like a nice height. Not too far on the low side. Haven't had it installed yet but it'll look just that bit nicer like yours does..

Paulie81 likes this.
  5. VF Ute

VF Ute Member

Members Ride:
    Vf 2 Redline ute
    20180222_110839 (1).jpg
    Fitted my eibachs the other day on my ute. 375mm all round. Happy with ride quality and height.

6. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
    nice one. Look forward to seeing a photo

7. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Sorry to bring up an old thread. Can anyone explain what changed in the VF2 rear suspension setup that made it sit lower at the rear when aftermarket springs were fitted? There are a number of spring manufacturers that have a product that claims to suit the VE/VF such as Eibach however what we find is that they tend to fit the rear lower by approx 20mm on VF2. I have seen a few VF Redlines on the road that have been lowered with what I can assume are springs only as the back sits slightly lower. In my experience and from other members here, the VF2 Redline sits at approx 400m from the centre cap to the guard on all fours so not sure why an aftermarket spring would be out by 20mm.

8. Banjo79

Banjo79 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Sportwagon
    DrewPeacock76 and VF Ute like this.
  9. GMVPSS

GMVPSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
    That is a very definitive table on ride heights with King Springs.

I have slowly noticed over 7,000km that the rear end of my wagon has settled/sagged by around 15mm with the MCA coil overs. (The front has not moved.) So I wound them up on the weekend to get it back to the ride height I want. Now they have settled I hope they don't move any further?!?!

10. VF Ute

VF Ute Member

Members Ride:
    Vf 2 Redline ute
    Not sure if anything changed in the rear suspension. My ute with Eibachs a few posts up is now sitting at 370 front and 375 rear (originally 400 all round). I could not be happier with the ride and look as it still has to be a functional work vehicle. The Eibachs that I bought were new but listed for a VE maloo (ebay)

I had noticed that some VF2s with Eibachs seem to sit higher in the front so I was a little concerned before fitting. I took particular note of the top spring plate going back in the original position as I believe this has been seen as causing height discrepancies. Not sure this answers your question but for me the springs worked out well.

11. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    I have eibachs on my sedan which sit lower at the back @ 355mm and higher at the front with 380mm on the left and 370 for the right. Is it possible to check of the spring plate has been fitted correcty without pulling everything apart? What's annoying me the most is the 1cm variance on the fronts

12. VF Ute

VF Ute Member

Members Ride:
    Vf 2 Redline ute
    I'm no expert but I reckon it would be hard to see without pulling out the struts. Heights do seem weird given that the Eibachs are listed at 370-375. Yours is real low at the back for those parameters.

13. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    i know when i was enquiring about H&R springs for my VF2 i was told they would sit much lower than spec'd
    but i think they might be same part numbers for VE. maybe eibach is the same?

14. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Has anyone installed springs themselves into a VF2? Is there a possibility of forgetting to reinstall a seating of some sort that may cause a variane in height? Does anyone have a diagram for the front and rear suspension assembly?

15. Mak10pz

Mak10pz New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ssv
    Just curious bro how much lower can the suspension go from what its sitting now on the XA

16. Gmac 2.0

Gmac 2.0 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
    I fitted Pedders XA's to my SSVR ute because I carry so much stuff in the tray and picking a regular height would not be possible with spring changes alone. Loaded my rear dropped about 70mm and the nose was pointing north. From memory, my rear had to be raise 35mm and front dropped about the same to level the ute. That sorted it looks great, handles terrific, but......and its a big but, it crashes over every tinny pothole and divot and don't get me started on speed humps, they're like driving over car park "wheels barriers?". I am running 20's but its not good.

I'm considering changing the front, back to a spring, albeit lowered just for the extra suspension travel the coil-overs don't offer. It may just be Pedder coil-overs but they're better suited to tracks than roads in my experience.

17. VF_CalaisV

VF_CalaisV New Member

Members Ride:
    VF CalaisV L77
    Hi, the VF2 rear struts are exactly the same type as VF and VE. Just that VF2 red line uses VF FE2 springs and shocks at the rear. If you forget to put the rubber in between the top hat and the spring it will make it sit lower and scratch up the hat every time the suspension moves! I would doubt that the suspension shop would stuff that up. The more common problem would be not rotating the spring and rubber properly into the seated position of the hat, but that would make your car sit higher not lower.

18. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    yep describes exactly how my VE handled with XAs and that was on 19s.
    Even on a pretty soft setting it wasnt pleasant, and my car wasnt setup very low.

19. Playz

Playz New Member

Members Ride:
    VF 2
    Dredging up an old thread again...
    Ok going to lower my redline over Christmas break

Anyone notice or installed Eibach recently?
    site Use to claim 375-370 front and rear where now “
    Approximate Guard measrements (centre of wheel to edge of guard) after fitting.

365 mm - 370 mm Front and Rear”

Is it an updated model or just revised estimate?

20. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Hey mate. I had them installed about a year ago and recently measure. Mien are a bit all over teh shop. One front is 380mm and the other is 370. and how much fuel is in the tank.
    Backs are both sitting at about 360-365. but can fluctuate depending what is in the boot