Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VF2 SSV Redline Sedan

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Just got mine back from shop and really happy with height. Rides much nicer over bumps than it did with SSSL.
Its now got SL front and rear. So sits about 10mm higher than SS Flo Rida's car.

For my needs perfect balance between looks and ride quality over the bumpy roads we have here.

View attachment 191718
So that's a "low" in the rear and a "superlow" in the front. I love it as it maintains the slight nose down look holden designed the car with and just looks really good to me.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Red Lion your wagon is heavier in the rear than the sedan. There ts a 'HD' suffix for wagon rear applications. Using the sedan part will result in lower rear ride height. The actual spring rate would likely be different too.

Edit

Have you got HD rear springs?

Yeah mate. Says HD in the part number.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
So that's a "low" in the rear and a "superlow" in the front. I love it as it maintains the slight nose down look holden designed the car with and just looks really good to me.

BBunnys post said Its now got SL front and rear. I read that as "low" in front and "low" in rear.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
BBunnys post said Its now got SL front and rear. I read that as "low" in front and "low" in rear.

That's what I initially thought too but then I had a look at the part numbers on Kings website and it indicates differently for the VF model. VE is a different story.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
That's what I initially thought too but then I had a look at the part numbers on Kings website and it indicates differently for the VF model. VE is a different story.

We are both right. And both wrong. It is confusing and risky to ever refer to Kings springs by just "low", "super low" or "ultra low", one should always use actual part numbers from the catalogue whenever trying to select or order springs with certain cars and definitely with VF Commodores.

This is due to different front end weights between 6 and 8 cylinder and different rear end weights between sedan and wagon. The described spring part number "loses" an "S" if it is for the heavier application. Also wagon rear springs gain a suffix of "HD". For front of a V6 super low is KHFL-151SSL but for a V8 this same spring is ultra low with a super low for the V8 being KHFL-151SL. For rear of a sedan super low is KHRL-152SSL but for a wagon super low is KHRL-151SLHD.

Easy as long as you follow the catalogue and stick to part numbers for the specific application.

Sorry if this sounds pedantic but I'd just hate it for someone to get it wrong for their car after reading ultra low this and super low that.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Thinking of getting my My16 Redline with stock 19" rims lowered soon and this discussion has been really helpful. I use mine as a daily driver and to carry my family around on the weekends which means the car needs to remain practical so I don't want to struggle with car parks, driveways, speed humps etc. and I certainly don't want to have to get my guards rolled. Would leaving the stock shocks in tact and going King Springs "Super Low" pack be the way to go (KHFL-151SL Front + KHRL-152SSL Rear) or should I go the " Lowered" pack (KHFL-151 Front + KHRL-152SL Rear)? What would that get me to 370mm on all four wheels?
Out of curiosity what ride height do the HSV's run at? They do look lower than the Commodores.

Last edited:

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got mine back from shop and really happy with height. Rides much nicer over bumps than it did with SSSL.
Its now got SL front and rear. So sits about 10mm higher than SS Flo Rida's car.

For my needs perfect balance between looks and ride quality over the bumpy roads we have here.

View attachment 191718

Looks nice. Can you please confirm the order codes for the springs you used? Being 10mm higher than Flo Rida are you saying you are at 370mm for both front and rear? The rear looks higher than the front in your pics which is why I'm guessing King Springs recommend a lower spring for the rear wheels

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Measuring centre of wheel to guard? I've got SSL all round and rear is 5 mm lower than front which makes th car sit quite even overall. This on SV6 (pic attached) so a V8 would be 5mm lower on front.

Is it possible one end has VE springs? Happened to another member? SS Flo Rida I think and it throws you off. Check the springs are KHFL151 and KHRL152. Just trying to help you avoid unnecessary disassembly reassembly.

All else being good though losing an 'S' on the rear will raise it by 15mm. The differences between steps are 15mm rear and 10mm front for Kings.
Cheers.View attachment 191766
Edit rear part number.

Yeah Roadie is correct and has a good memory! Same springs all round should make it sit right

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Guys, so just so I am clear on this.... if I have a V8 Commodore (heavier front end) are you suggesting that I go with the same type of spring combination for back and front. i.e SL front and SL rear, rather that SL Front and SSL Rear as per the King Springs Website package.