Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VF2 SSV Redline Sedan

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Hi Guys, so just so I am clear on this.... if I have a V8 Commodore (heavier front end) are you suggesting that I go with the same type of spring combination for back and front. i.e SL front and SL rear, rather that SL Front and SSL Rear as per the King Springs Website package.

It depends on your priorities really. Most of the facts to consider are mentioned in this thread. The Kings package will make the car sit flat in terms of sill-to-ground looking more parallel than stock.

Compare SS Flo Rida's car with mine. His is a V8, mine a V6. Same part number springs KHFL-151SSL front and KHRL-152SSL rear. His sits around 7-8mm lower at the front. Mine would be a pretty close comparison to a V8 with SL front and SSL rear. Overall it's not much different to look at. Both sit a little more even viewed from side on, with slightly less rake than factory. I personally like this because there is so much rake built into the body styling lines anyway and having the rake make the car look bum high to me. This is just a personal preference thing.

If you often have back seat passengers and a towbar as well, the rear may be too low with SSL springs and SL could be a better option. Obviously then in this case you'd fit SL to the front too.

There's a picture of bbunny's car with SL front and rear. That car is sitting 10mm higher front and 15mm higher rear than SS Flo Rida's and you can notice slightly more rake to the car. It also looks great and suits the road conditions better where the car is used which is a major consideration. Lots of steep driveways, high gutters or speed humps, steep ramps in car-parks can require caution to avoid scraping. Having said this, my car scraped the exhaust once very slightly exiting a very steep up ramp with 2 adults aboard. No damage at all and easily avoided if I went on an angle, just a brain fade - probably a little unexpected because up to then it hadn't scraped anywhere so caution was lower than it should have been.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
It depends on your priorities really. Most of the facts to consider are mentioned in this thread. The Kings package will make the car sit flat in terms of sill-to-ground looking more parallel than stock.

Compare SS Flo Rida's car with mine. His is a V8, mine a V6. Same part number springs KHFL-151SSL front and KHRL-152SSL rear. His sits around 7-8mm lower at the front. Mine would be a pretty close comparison to a V8 with SL front and SSL rear. Overall it's not much different to look at. Both sit a little more even viewed from side on, with slightly less rake than factory. I personally like this because there is so much rake built into the body styling lines anyway and having the rake make the car look bum high to me. This is just a personal preference thing.

If you often have back seat passengers and a towbar as well, the rear may be too low with SSL springs and SL could be a better option. Obviously then in this case you'd fit SL to the front too.

There's a picture of bbunny's car with SL front and rear. That car is sitting 10mm higher front and 15mm higher rear than SS Flo Rida's and you can notice slightly more rake to the car. It also looks great and suits the road conditions better where the car is used which is a major consideration. Lots of steep driveways, high gutters or speed humps, steep ramps in car-parks can require caution to avoid scraping. Having said this, my car scraped the exhaust once very slightly exiting a very steep up ramp with 2 adults aboard. No damage at all and easily avoided if I went on an angle, just a brain fade - probably a little unexpected because up to then it hadn't scraped anywhere so caution was lower than it should have been.

Awesome thanks. My Redline is a daily driver which means driveways, car parks with speed humps, kids in the back. Sounds like SL SL is the way to go then. Any recommendations on who can do this for me. I live in sydney so anywhere between ryde and artarmon would be awesome.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Awesome thanks. My Redline is a daily driver which means driveways, car parks with speed humps, kids in the back. Sounds like SL SL is the way to go then. Any recommendations on who can do this for me. I live in sydney so anywhere between ryde and artarmon would be awesome.

Yes SL SL sounds right for you.

Pity you're in SYD. I'm in ADL and have a set of near new SL fronts.

Anyway, I strongly recommend when getting this done you also have the installer replace the stock rubber front strut mounts. Use Superpro polyelastomer replacements not the polyurethane ones. The stock rubber ones don't last and it's zero extra effort to swap them out when changing springs.

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
I can confirm in mine I have SL front and rear. What Kings web site says I think is wrong for the VF2. As originally I went off there site and back was sitting too low.

I now have following parts in car.
Front: KHFL-151SL
Rear: KHRL-152SL

I have done 1000km in them so far and I think back has dropped slightly. But currently sitting from hub center to guard. 370mm rear and 378mm front. Its close enough for me. But ground I'm on is not level.
But certainally would not put KHRL-152SSL in rear like Kings web site says. As would be 10mm lower again in rear.

Car is getting its wheel alignment done tonight. As they wanted springs to settle. So ill get them to measure exactly what height its sitting at front and rear.

Last edited:

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Hi Guys, so just so I am clear on this.... if I have a V8 Commodore (heavier front end) are you suggesting that I go with the same type of spring combination for back and front. i.e SL front and SL rear, rather that SL Front and SSL Rear as per the King Springs Website package.

Yes if its a VF2

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Ok so had shop measure heights with SL all around

They measure bottom of rim to guard.
Both back sides 641
Front right 648
Front left 652

So front a bit different. But will see how it goes at next alignment in 10k. As sure still settling and I'm 120kg and been only person in car.
So maybe why front right lower

Last edited:

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Just got my wagon back today. Now it's SSL in the front and SL in the rear. At the moment the rear is 5mm higher. But the front has had nearly 4 weeks to settle. Fingers crossed they even out. At this stage I'm pretty happy.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
hold up so it sounds like according to Red Lions experience that SSL in front and SL in rear gives you a more even result? Bbunnys has a max of 11mm variance from front height vs back. Where Red Lion only has a variance of 5mm which may possibly even lower with more time. Now I'm confused :) Im surprised by this as I would have thought the weight of the LS3 would make for a lower front measurement. I guess the other end has fuel to keep it down.

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Red Lion has a wagon. I have a sedan. So I'd think there would be difference.

I could be wrong but think Wagon also has a heavy duty spring in rear, when fitted with King springs.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Yep HD on the part no. Also I just clicked that I have a tow bar. Maybe that's why it was a fair bit lower on the back when I had SSL's all round.