Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VF2 SSV Redline Sedan

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by VinnieLS3, Mar 9, 2016.

1. AllanT

AllanT New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SSV Gen3
    So after a visit Pedders and checking the car, it sits as expected by the American Web sites and Pedders internal info. Nothing like the Brochure.
    Going back in Jan to fit the lower front springs 220092 which actually have the same rate as the 2954 fitted. I dont think it helps I run with the fuel tank mostly full and run a full size spare. I'll keep the current front springs... in storage..

So my install will run 220092 in front and 2955 in the rear and should give close enough to an even wheel guard gap..

I get they don't cut springs or run shims, but you never know what goes on beyond a catalog.

3rspecB
    Btw love the picture at Cornnell Engineering.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BbIYpVpAEKj/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
    One I took of my Bike.

3rspecB and Mavericks Choice like this.
  2. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    shocks are same part number on all vf models, regardless of FE level
    obv excluding mrc models

3. AllanT

AllanT New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SSV Gen3
    Nice picture..

4. LS1SS

LS1SS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
    I picked up a set of springs cheap brand new that Walkinshaw abvertise on their site for my Redline,I think they might be Boag,it Looks real good side on,front is 375 cap centre to lip and rear is 370 with 1/2 tank of fuel,It still has redline std shock,the springs made a big difference to the ride,it wasn’t as jittery any more,the front steers in nice but with a full tank of fuel the back feels soggy,run the car hard with a 1/4 tank and it is superb thru the Nasho,I thinking of going Bilstiens with these springs and see if it help the full tank floppy oversteer.

5. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Any point in upgrading fe2 springs to fe3 maloo springs?

6. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    Hi Mike. Is that your VF, or VF2?

7. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    I think HSV use their own spring, sway & damper rates?
    FE3 is (non-HSV) Redline.

8. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Thanks dude is selling them as maloo FE3 springs.

Also whats the legality around suspensions. any change is obviously defectable without engineer cert but what do the cops test for. Saw a tricked out VF1 last night that was being driven to get pulled over.

9. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    There are probably all sorts of technicalities; but the reality is that ground clearance has to be a certain amount, and you’re pretty right apart from that. The Powers That Be consider Powahz to be a way for you to break the (dubiously relevant) speed limit & kill babies, suspension they don’t give a flying expletive.

In NSW I’m not sure about current rules; but the lowest allowed a few years back was 10cm. Coke can on it’s side, if you could drive over it with the can anywhere under the car & clear the can, that was legal. Some cars look a lot lower than others due to factory offsets & allowed track widths & wheel-arch sizes; my late 70’s Volvo is lower than my wife’s Redline but it looks the other way ‘round.

10. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^
    Yep, agree.

Basically can’t move or alter bump stops and must maintain at least 100mm ground clearance so fitting different rate springs and should be ok. But fitting some stuff, like coil overs, requires certification, see here for SA suspension mod rules.

If you’re altering struts, arms, etc, they must also comply to certain standards that a ‘joe blogs mod’ with his angle grinder and welder likley wouldn’t know about or satisfy. Things like zip ties holding brake line onto the front struts rather than using a strut welded metal clip to hold the brake line will obviously not pass muster (some 20 years ago I had one well known business try just that when they built my coil overs, though I didn’t take delivery until this was corrected).

Obviously, if your car looks too low, you may get pulled over at some time. And as cops aren’t idiots, well most of them anyway, they may decide to check things a little more thoroughly when they do pull you over. Either they will admire your car if it’s done to factory quality or look poorly on what you have done if it looks like a sick chicken has been at things with a grinder and welder. One gets smiles all around, the other may get a pink slip.

Oh, and it must be said, illegal mods void your warranty so don’t crash like this chap did otherwise your insurance company may spend a little effort trying to get out of paying your hefty bill.

11. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars

Put A Tiger In Your Tank 2.jpg
    Put A Tiger In Your Tank 1.jpg

12. AllanT

AllanT New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SSV Gen3
    ScreenHunter_567 Jan. 02 21.41.jpg
    Finally sits right for me.. 2955 in rear 220092 front pictured with a full tank.

struggo, panhead, Maz and 3 others like this.
  13. RoarPower

RoarPower New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII MSE
    removed wrong thread, sorry.

14. Maz

Maz Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R M6
    Thanks for posting this info @AllanT - sorry it cost you a set of front springs.

You're car is looking good and sitting nice. How are you finding the handling, and how does the ride compare to the OEM?

15. AllanT

AllanT New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SSV Gen3
    Not bad slightly firmer, does thump a little on big bumps, guess its the shorter travel, remaining. So far it's fine... maybe, just may be new struts all round might be better. But will wait and see.

16. martinpalac

martinpalac New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Commodore
    Ive recently installed King Spring SSL all round on my 2015 VF SS series 1. I kept the stock shocks for those who are interested
    Hopefully my file (photo) upload works.

Attached Files:

saroadie and abuch47 like this.
  17. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars

I’ve been told that the stock shocks will do the job during normal driving, they won’t last as long but will save you some money by not discarding a perfectly good set.

But if you want the suspension to work at its optimum then swap them out for shorter ones that are designed to operate and dampen effectively with less travel.

At the suggestion of the suspension shop who did some work on one of my cars I keep the stock set and you could notice a difference between the long and short shocks on a lowered car when you turned in hard but I felt nothing different in my daily driving.

My suggestion is go for the shorter ones but if you are on a budget then wait until the stock ones need replacing, just don’t expect the car to be perfectly planted in the bends while you’re still using the original set.

18. Andrew Hurley

Andrew Hurley New Member

Members Ride:
    VF series 2 SSV Redline
    Hey aaronm,
    What's the shop that fitted your kings called in WA? I wanna take my VF2 redline to him as I want mine lowered to 360 as well. Looks **** hot mate.

19. Playz

Playz New Member

Members Ride:
    VF 2
    Quick question how do I undo the rear sway bar from control arm on series2 redline to remove rear strut?
    I saw earlier models had a link arm like in the front but rear sway bar mounts different.

Help LOL cars in the air as we speak and I don’t want to remove sway bar mount if it’s to difficult to reinstall

20. RED LION

RED LION Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    So hypothetically having a Redline sedan as a family car. How would coil overs go with a wife and a baby? I’d be all for coilovers for me but I have to also consider a wife that may complain and a baby that will bounce around lol