Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VN 91

P

patrix

HEY
i know this may sound stupid to sum of you out there but i would greatly appreciate any1's help if they could tell me what i would need to buy to get my 1991 VN commodore lowerd, i allready have sum superlow kingsprings and was wondering wat else i need like wat shocks are reccomended and do i need a adjustable panard rod ? and how much it costs to get all this done ?
thanx pat

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
shortlift or shortrise shockers are a definite inclusion if you dont want to be replacing standard ones every 5000 kms

lower it, replace the shocks, panhard rod is not needed as it only allows for adjustment of the diff side to side, this part of a cars geometry isnt affected by lowering.. however you will need a wheel alignment.

shocks and wheel alignment and you'll be right.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
just had a thought ... what size tyres and rims have you got?

S

seafarer

lowering a vn 1991

I have a vn berlina 1991, it is lowered 2.5 at the front and 3.5 at the rear. I bought king springs and pedders shockers and it cost about $750 from carline mufflers. Suspension may vary between 1989-1991 modles and also from executives to calais.

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
you should get your lipps rolled, if in doubt go to a profesionall or you could end up with problems or a yellow sticker (in W,A), its pritty easy to lower a car once you understrand how its done, i usually get a pro to something i havnt done before for the first time and once you see how it all goes together you can do it yourself next time, but yeah new shockies are a must use standard ones and you bounce down the road :p

V

VNBOY

i hae superlow lovells, i got brand new shocks springs etc.

if you go lower than 2 inches on a VN then youll need shortened shocks, but not if you go 2 inches (which is what you have done).

you dont need anything else.

W

Wonderboy

the panhard rod does make a difference, as its bolted from the chassis to the diff, if the car is lowered it pushed the diff to the left slightly, if u put ultra-low's in your gonna have to get an adjustable panhard rod to bring it back into center or it will be like my mates vn with a **** load of vibration.

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
mine wasnt even lowered but the springs were worn (as well as the shocks) and it pushed the axle left so the tyre rubbed on the guard. I did have 225x15's on there tho.

C

ChrisVPCommodore

VP Wagon King Springs

I have recently purchased secondhand set of king springs. they are for my 1991 Vp Wagon. the springs will only lower the car 2 inches, this way i can keep my original shockies. i have been spent about 3 days doing it myself and it is an ass of a job. i am in wa, and i got a quoke to have all 4 springs installed for $100. GET THEM INSTALLED IF YOU HAVENT DONE IT BEFORE

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Hmm.. i seem to have a similar problem: my left tyre has recently been scrubbing on the inside of the guard on dips in the road.. getting VERY annoying. Havent had the guards rolled yet.. Any help with the possible cause would be gretly appreciated!

Im pretty sure ive got FE2 springs on the front, but ive got some aqua-coloured ones on the back (bought the car with em). my front is low-ish lookin, but the arse sits heaps lower, right over the tyre. Can't remember if thers aftermarket shocks in there too.. but the ride is damn stiff, feel every bump..
I've still got the stock panhard bar, and thats what i rekon need's to replacing.. suspicious of the shockers too, coz the car sits slightly lop-sided (right hand side is lower than the left).

PS ive got 16" CSA's with 225x50's all round

cheers! :D