Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VS Commodore that little bit more...

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
So i got my car lowered on super low (front) and ultra low (rear) springs about 4 months ago

Since then i have always assumed that getting shortened shock would make it look that little bit lower and that I would get around to buying them once I had the cash.

But since Ive done a little researching it seem new shocks won't really make a differance.

So whats the next thing I can do to make my car lower, I'm not sure I'f the mechanic lied to me for some reason and put super low shocks in the back or just f*cked up, but to me it doesn't seem low enough.

124hcvp.jpg

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
1. Shocks will not make any difference whatsoever as to how low a car sits. Its the springs that determine ride height.
2. You will need a shortened rear shock so the spring doesn't fall out over a massive bump or while on a hoist.
3. I don't think they're ultras in the rear. Were they King spring ultras? What are the part numbers on the spring? Stick ya head underneath and have a look. If you could find the part number then we'd definitely be able to help you.
4. What size rims are they? 17's? 18's??
5. If you wanna go lower i believe they King springs make an ultra ultra low. Something called a SSSL i think....
6. Live axle or IRS?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
the rims look like there 18s.. they dont look like ultras, it should at least be sitting over the tyre. even if the part numbers are right, there has been cases where the wrong part number has been printed on the spring. i would say take them back.

a good way to check if the shocks make a difference to your ride height, drop the bottom bolt off the shock and see if the rear drops. remember to measure before and after!

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
there 18's

Live Axle

And yer im pretty sure there King Springs, because I remember asking what brand they were when I got them done

Just found the receipt then aswell, from about 3 months ago, doesn't say anything about ultra lows or even part numbers, so im guessing its not going to be easy to take it back?

ty for replies anywhos

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
u can take the rear spring insulators out, springs may start screaching down curbs and that but will drop it around another 20mm. ive got sl all round in my vs ute with those exact rims with rear unsulators removed and it sits just under the tyre :)

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
antoniomazzurra, how much harsher is the ride without the rear spring insulators?

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
if there ultra lows the part number should be khpr-20sl. whats your hub to guard height? ssl will give you aprox 10-15mm less.

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
yer i just when out and checked the numbers then, turns out there just lows (KHRL - 20)

arghhhh

probaly should have realised earlier but I hadnt really seen to many commy's with ultra lows in them

just rang them then and theres no answer, you guys think i can get them swapped assuming I can get through to them?

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
antoniomazzurra, how much harsher is the ride without the rear spring insulators?

haha i have to admit, it does make bumps feel alot bigger in the rear end but you cant excpect smooth ride in a lowerd car :)