Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VZ (strut top issue)

Davey989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S2
Hi everyone.

I've recently put new springs in the front of my VZ using King KHFL-47SL. This is supposed to be "Ultra low" for the Vz's, however i think mines still siting relatively high. measuring from the middle of the hub to guard is closely 350mm.
My main issue is my strut top hats are sitting up as if bearing/rubber housing is worn. I've replaced them twice with brand new ones, visibly inspecting the ones i just took out, they are still like new, no sinkage. Had this issue with both standard springs and now the king. Looking at different forums and guides, everything has been put in the same way its come out correctly. I've used an air impact to tighten both the retaining nuts so its not like the strut tops are being allowed to sit higher than they are supposed too.

Completely stumped as to why i'm having both these issues, i'm second guessing myself wondering if I've put the springs in upside down being a progressive rate spring. One side of the spring, the first 2/3 coils are closer together than the opposite side. Is the closer coils side of the spring sit in the bottom or the top of the strut? even if this is the case it still wouldn't explain why i had the same issue with the standard springs. So what do i do from here, do i bite the bullet are do the job again and flip the springs?
Also the struts are only 2 months old, they aren't the shortend struts however. But doubt that will have any effect on drop considering so many run choppies off factory struts :rolleyes:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Take a photo of your strut top and post it.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Sounds like you have a washer in the wrong position on the strut top.

ssvu1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss ute 2001
Hi everyone.

I've recently put new springs in the front of my VZ using King KHFL-47SL. This is supposed to be "Ultra low" for the Vz's, however i think mines still siting relatively high. measuring from the middle of the hub to guard is closely 350mm.
My main issue is my strut top hats are sitting up as if bearing/rubber housing is worn. I've replaced them twice with brand new ones, visibly inspecting the ones i just took out, they are still like new, no sinkage. Had this issue with both standard springs and now the king. Looking at different forums and guides, everything has been put in the same way its come out correctly. I've used an air impact to tighten both the retaining nuts so its not like the strut tops are being allowed to sit higher than they are supposed too.

Completely stumped as to why i'm having both these issues, i'm second guessing myself wondering if I've put the springs in upside down being a progressive rate spring. One side of the spring, the first 2/3 coils are closer together than the opposite side. Is the closer coils side of the spring sit in the bottom or the top of the strut? even if this is the case it still wouldn't explain why i had the same issue with the standard springs. So what do i do from here, do i bite the bullet are do the job again and flip the springs?
Also the struts are only 2 months old, they aren't the shortend struts however. But doubt that will have any effect on drop considering so many run choppies off factory struts :rolleyes:

Hi Mate I am just having the same problem now put new struts in Monroe with king lowered springs new top bearing and rubber and its sitting to high on the top hat bit ,??

How did you go did you find a solution to this problem Cheers

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
the top bearing plate wont have been installed correctly, also be prepared for the kings to sag ALOT. Ultra low soon becomes a stupid choice

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180405-184928.png
    Screenshot_20180405-184928.png
    985.6 KB · Views: 143

Davey989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S2
So after stuffing around some more i'm still stuck in the same position. I've triple checked everything, washers are correct orientation as are the springs. i'm starting to suspect the struts i have could be an issue. I'm wondering if being Repco aftermarket struts if there isn't enough thread at the top to allow the strut bearing to sit low enough, which in turn means the top hat wont sit far enough down but im just plucking things from the air at the moment.
i might just bite the bullet and go new bearings and Monroe shortend struts for even better handling. did you work out what it was yourself
ssvu1 haha?

After the springs settled mine sits sit somewhat high compared to the senator (Looks tough btw) Keesh, thats what i was aiming for.