Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering a VZ Ute

vzuterus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Hi, I'm going to lower my VZ ute tomorrow from stock to FE2 and just wondered if there was any advice you all had or if there was a post on here or possibly a website where somebody had done it so i'm not going in blind?

Cheers guys!

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
Hey there vzuterus,

I'm not sure that FE2 would lower it any/much more than standard height. I recently bought a new SS ute and it sat rediculously high with FE2. If you're gonna lower it I'd go for King Springs or Lovells.

Doing the front requires you to pull the struts out... Pretty straight forward but the most time consuming. It's just 2 bolts that hold the HUB to the bottom of the strut, (One or both of them from memory requires you to pull out the bolt/s holding the brake caliper on), 1 Bolt for the stabilizer rod, and the nut on the top of the strut in the engine bay. Don't forget to take the brake lines out of their holder on the strut.

Pulling the springs out requires the use of a spring compressor other wise you'll end up hurting yourself or you'll shoot the ball bearings in the top of the strut all over the joint when you undo the bolt holding the spring in on the top of the strut.

When you put the struts back in and bolt the HUB back to the strut there will be a little bit of "play" There is a an adjustment bolt on the HUB that has to pushed back in hard to the strut (Don't screw it in, physically push the whole hub in so that the bolt is up hard against the strut)

The rears are the easiest.

Just undo the rear shocks at the bottom and the stabillizer as well and the springs "should" just fall out. If they don't which happended to me you'll have compress the springs to get them out.

It's pretty rough but it'll steer in you in the right direction.

Hope I haven't missed anything

Good Luck!

PS Don't forget to get a wheel alignment after you've done it all.

havoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 SS Ute
vzuterus said:
Hi, I'm going to lower my VZ ute tomorrow from stock to FE2 and just wondered if there was any advice you all had or if there was a post on here or possibly a website where somebody had done it so i'm not going in blind?

Cheers guys!

Gday vzuterus

FE2 suspension won't lower your ute. I had FE2 on a VY S ute and you could stick your head between the top of the tyre and the guard, the body height was the same as the standard suspension. I had lower springs put in it but with the FE2 shocks they had to much travel, so if you jacked it up to change a tyre the spring would dislodge and rattle around.

Do the springs & shocks.

kmbattle

Reaction score
no camber kit here with superlows and 19's and no scrubing after 10 000kms

A

Andre's SS

Ya mines dumped and no camber kit either!
No need on the VZ's

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
the only reason i got a camber kit is for piece of mind and to make adjustments if needed when it gets alimnments done. its better to have one installed and not use it then not have one and need it

rickymacri

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore ute
hey guys i got my ute with lowered springs on, i just think there lows, i bought 19 inch ve ssv mags and i think its sitting just a little to high i wanna dump it with superlows but if i put them on will the front end scrub on the strut cuz theres bugger all room in between the wheel and the strut now as is. im not worried about the back its got plenty of room. just want to know some prices for super lows

cheers...

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
thread dig...

Eitzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz thunder s ute
hey mate i ve ss rims on my vz ute and the front tyers are rubbing on my struts...did u have any trubble with 19's ???