Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG Alloytec

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
anyone running an LPG base Alloytec. Interested to know what they are like. Holden dealers dont seem real keen

80shovelead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, VS Exec, VL Exec
when we got our sv6 we where told that since its the 190 motor it cant be converted to LPG because its a high performance motor as for the 175 motor i cant see any harm or reason why it cant be converted over.

Road_Pilot

Road_Pilot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Aked the Customer Service Centre last week about the availability of a LPG system for my VZ Exec Wagon and this was there response.....

"...An Injected LPG System will be available through Holden By Design for VZ Commodore Executive Sedan and Wagon only. This enhancement is expected to be ready for sale in October 2005, however, this date is not confirmed.

Further information regarding LPG fitments will be available closer to the release date via our website at www.holden.com.au. ..."

I have spoken with the suppliers (IMCO) who ststed that under their contract with Holden they CAN NOT supply any units to other resellers or installers as Holden have decided that it will be a factory fit option ONLY.

I hope this is not correct as that would mean I will need to consider if I keep the VZ or change to another vehicle as I travel approx 10,000k per month.

C

commodore_vy

Ive researched at length about converting to a dual fuel in my ute to get more ks per tank and cheaper tanks...

Ive come to the conclusion thats its a waiting game before they will produce an aftermarket system by another manufacturer...so thats what im doing and then i will compare it with the genuine holden system...ill let ya know how i go

but im gonna have it in by christmas....

Im doin 50 000kms a yr...way too much :bang:

O

OBMAR

"VZ" LPG Conversion

When I purchased my VZ One Tonner in February 2005, I asked about an LPG version and was told it would cost about $3000.00. I thought I would evaluate the fuel consumption before installing LPG. Last week I phoned Holden Customer Assist to enuire about LPG and was told it had not been approved for any of the VZ model and may be approved for the VZ Executive Sedan and Wagon in October 2005.

Why in these days of high fuel prices would a major car manufacturer introduce and engine that they will not approve for LPG conversion????????? :air:

No wonder they are going broke and retrenching workers. :whistling

"VZ" owners unite and demand that Holden make a firm decision on thier Alloytec engine in regards to LPG conversion. :air:

Holden Customer Assist are unable to give any reasonable answer as to why this engine can not be converted to LPG.

As the man from a major provider of LPG conversion equipment on enquiring about the "VZ" conversion said to me ".......... go and find a very solid brick wall and bash your head firmly against it. In there will lay your answer.........." :b:

Any further posts would be quite welcomed.

Lets apply some pressure.

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
80shovelead said:
when we got our sv6 we where told that since its the 190 motor it cant be converted to LPG because its a high performance motor as for the 175 motor i cant see any harm or reason why it cant be converted over.
Only difference between the 190 and the 175 is the 190 has variable cam timing on both camshafts, the inlet manifold is a different design and of course the ECU tuning will be a bit different. If you could run LPG on the 175 you could run it on the 190 as they are the same lump at the end of the day. Describing either engine as "high performance" is stretching it. They are just a holden V6 available in a commodore ie ordinary.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
from everything i've read about lpg is that it will actually go better once tuned to suite your car, the other thing is i believe it has higher octane which would mean that there would be no reason the 190 couldn't use it if the 175 could.

i too am in the 50,000km's a yr boat and if there was a cheap gas option that would give me more money in my pocket i'd be interested for sure.

tim85

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09.5 60th Anniversary LPG Sedan
Pretty soon there'll be no point in converting to gas anyway, because the federal govt is dropping the current excise on gas, meaning that it's price will be close to that of unleaded anyway, making a gas conversion pointless!

That would explain why Holden hasn't spent the development dollars on making an LPG conversion system.

O

OBMAR

Correction. The Federal Government is actually increasing the excise on LPG not dropping it. The government has stated, as I beleive it, that it will only increase the excise by 8 cents which will still make LPG a hell of a lot cheaper than petrol.

As a 30,000 to 40,000 kms per year driver I feel I could cut my costs by at least 30%.

My main arguement is why has Holden disigned an engine that they feel can not run on LPG.

My next option is to place a billboard on the tray of my One Tonner informing the public of this fact.

C

commodore_vy

OBMAR said:

My next option is to place a billboard on the tray of my One Tonner informing the public of this fact.

sounds good too me...do ya recon it would be cheaper makin two at the same time :unsure: :thumbsup: :bang: :rofl: