Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG and SUBS..

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I get 9.1 l/100k with the cruise on the legal limit wherever that's wise and i sit on about 130 in the sticks. So ok, yep its not 50 bucks my bad.. at todays price of 64.9c/l , at 9.1l/100k its $59.05 for 1000k. Thats highway miles of course, you can take 200k off that range around town. Dyno is 147kw, no racecar but plenty enough for an old fart like me. I personally dont notice a lot of difference in performance.. it maybe is a bit flatter on takeoff when running gas thats about it.

Gas can be made to perform better than unleaded, because of its higher octane. Pretty sure this would require more than just a simple tune though, probably need some engine mods and injection yes. I have made no mods, its a factory gas installation (very rare for a VS) and my local gas guy has been playing with the computer a little to bias the tune more towards gas as of course, as a dual fueler, tuning is always going to be a compromise.

If I was going to be getting rid of anything it would be the petrol tank lol.. enabling me to tune purely to suit the gas would have major benefits on all counts.. but gas is still not available everywhere yet believe it or not and in some parts of central QLD its so expensive that petrol becomes affordable again... so for now at least it keeps both tanks.

Consumption is 7.9l/100km at a steady 110kmh on the highway for petrol, and 9.1l/100km for LPG. Todays prices at the local servo are 147.4 for unleaded and 64.9 for gas ... you do the math :)

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
8" in the parcel shelf are not an option unfortunately. There is no room for them above the gas tank, and spacers to bring them up would have them pretty close to touching the window. The way the parcel shelf metal is designed isn't helpful in that regard either, as bogan says, to fit them in something would have to be cut.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i have gas research straight gas and i would never go back to petrol myself especially seeing people put nearly $100 in their fuel tanks to fill up whilst im putting under $30 in and not losing any power.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
My daily drive is a Kia Cerato. This is a car I highly recommend by the way.. awesome little car, goes well, handles well, and has all the lux features. Its a 2L auto. BUT the Berlina, on gas, is much more economical than the Cerato... and of course leaves it for dead performance wise.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I agree LPG can be made to perform better than ULP but not using a mixer, harder valve seats is probably all thats required as far as engine work goes. When you bung LPG onto a motor that was designed for petrol the valves usually **** themselves over time because LPG doesnt offer any lubrication. LPG also burns alot hotter. But it would definatly need to be injected. Gas research? I think its called as bogan said. I would actually be interested in this myself but its been a long time since I first heard about it and never looked into it.

Come to think of it, it you were going to run straight injected gas on the V6 (or any injected motor) you could replace the standard injectors with the gas ones instead of drilling into the intake manifold. But then I would need a dicky tank in the boot which sort of brings us back to the original subject lol.

By the way Im not sure if the L/100km works when on gas. It may be still estimating fuel usage while on gas. Then again it is all factory. *shrugs*

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
All the totals, litres used, remaining, l/100km all seem to tally with what goes into the tank with either fuel. In the Berlina, the single fuel gauge displays whatever fuel you are using at the time, and the consumptions and remaining kms etc change when the tank gauge changes, so I assume the trip computer knows whats going on too. There is no separate little green lights gauge like the aftermarket ones, the petrol gauge is also the lpg gauge.

* With the factory dual fuel, you have to come to a complete stop to switch fuels, it will not let you do it whilst moving. This can be rather annoying because even just to check how much fuel you have left in the other tank, you have to stop to change over to make it display the other tank. A second gauge would have been better, though I do like that its a proper gauge and not just 4 green lights like the aftermarket ones.

* I also don't see the problem with changing over on the fly, my old EL Fairmont with aftermarket gas used to do it with no issue.. mind you the Fairmont trip computer just got confused with the aftermarket gas and was useless to me while on gas.

If you use straight gas, then you remove the problem of the tank in the boot.. replace the fuel tank with it underbody. Once you have the car set up and tuned properly for gas only, you cant help but reap the benefit of 110 octane. Maybe sometime in the future :)

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Back to the original question of speakers.. now wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to compromise and try to mount some 7x10s on spacers on the parcel shelf, with some extra power to them, instead of a proper sub. I've heard these things can pump if set up right, anyone had any experience with them?
Again, my listening is rock.. a system that plays ACDC well will do me nicely. Don't need big subs for rock, just something that turns 'thump' into 'kick in the back' lol

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
hahaha, i love the LPG ULP debate.

i'd definately get subs for ACDC, sounds killer on them

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Two subs are obviously louder than one, but one 10" will be as loud as two 8's and take up less room. The box volume will determine if a sub is "boomy" or "punchy", not the sub's physical diameter.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
Two subs are obviously louder than one, but one 10" will be as loud as two 8's and take up less room. The box volume will determine if a sub is "boomy" or "punchy", not the sub's physical diameter.

depends on box.. 2 8's have more cone area than just one 10"