Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG and SUBS..

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi guys,

Tried all kinds of subs and enclosures in my LPG VS. Trying to keep my boot as a useful container, which means having a compact and well located sub/subs which are not exposed to damage by the contents of the boot. LPG makes this a little hard, because obviously the tank takes up all the space behind the seats.

I currently have a little single 8" sub in a portable enclosure, which actually almost meets my needs.. I like bang not boom (rock not rap) :) and the sub is mainly just to get some extra kick into the bass, and add just a little rumble. I do NOT want a multi 18" 50 million watt setup. It would just get in the way.

I've considered separating the area where the LPG tank sits and using that as an enclosure, with the tank inside, heavily wrapped in sound foil. Would this work? I am thinking there is probably enough space around the tank to provide enough air volume, just not sure what having the tank in the middle of the box will do to the sound. I'd just have to make sure I have some decent speaker grills on for protection and that would leave me the rest of the boot to use for carrying kids in (oops carrying kids stuff i mean ;) )

I'd love to hear ideas and see pics of compact boot installations that include an LPG tank or don't use the space where it would sit. I'm thinking a couple of 8" (or maybe 10" but that might be a bit boomy for my taste dunno..)

Look forward to seeing some ideas :) thanks !

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
gas or subs, one or the other, you chose :p

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
no brainer that one.. LPG is higher octane you just gotta tune to take advantage of that.. and I get to laugh at those paying double the price for unleaded.. but I think I can get subs as well :)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I'm pretty sure you're not meant to enclose the gas tank, so I'd double check before you build an enclosure around it.

You can easily fit a 12" into the rear corner of most boots with a fibreglass box that is moulded to the shape of the car. These can take up minimal usable boot space. Then just get a grille for the sub.

[edit] Not telling you to get a 12", just saying you can and still use minimal space.

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
haha im with verynice on that one .. subs or gas dude!!! ..

But seriously dude, if you were caught with some kind of enclosure over the gas tank you would be in a bit of trouble.... as it would block off easy access to it if you were to crash or something, i know with the VY boots you can buy off ebay a fibreglass enclosure that fits nicely into the corner of the boot (Near the Tail lights) that will let ya put your Sub in without taking up too much room.. I dunno if they make them for the VS's .. i dont see why not?

should look into that dude!!

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
if it was me, id get rid of the gas :beer chug:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If big boom was my priority then getting rid of the gas or losing the rest of the boot would be the only option. Its not, and I enjoy being able to travel 1000km for 50 bucks or so, so the gas is staying lol

I've seen those fibreglass pods for the corner, and they have all had 12" holes cut into them. Obviously this could be filled and recut though, no biggie. I'd be interested in hearing more about those if anyone has one... do they fit well, are they strong, and of course do they cut the mustard soundwise. That corner is the only other place I can see to put them that's for sure.

Making the assumption that 2 subs are louder than one ( doesn't actually seem logical, the maximum volume would be the loudest source wouldn't it? but somehow I just find myself thinking 2 is louder than one... ) Point of that to me is that if 2 is louder than one, I can use less volume=less distortion to get the same decibels? Anyone know anything about this? Remembering that I don't need the local windows to rattle with soundwaves, just boost my rock music a bit.. is there any value in installing a pair instead of one?

I believe that 8" is all I need, it seems to have the clearer sharper cracking bass I want rather than the boomy vibrating stuff the bigger subs put out.

If I build my own box with a pair of 8", in the corner where the fibreglass ones sit.. do the speakers need to be compartmented or can they happily share the same enclosure?

Is the sound affected more by enclosure shape or enclosure volume? ie if I mount 2x 8" subs in that corner, is it worth making a narrow extension of that box past the wheel arch just to improve the enclosure volume, even though neither speaker would actually be in that part of the box?

Thanks again :)

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Gas is for BBQ's :p

To take advantage of LPG you would need injection. Mixers are too much of a headache/restriction. You seriously get 1000km for $50? Its either tuned really lean or you granny it lol. From what Ive heard you fill up almost twice as much on LPG compared to petrol so it generally doesnt work out that much cheaper. I cant say Ive never owned a car on LPG, I plan to keep it that way ;)

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
keep the gas and just put one 12'' sub in the corner of the boot , if you mounted them in the parcel shelf and you ever had to go for a rwc they will rape you sideways for cutting metal out and weakening the child seat anchorage points.