Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG conversion - Impco vs OMVL. Which?

C

cheongk

I have a 1999 VT series II and am thinking of doing the LPG conversion. I've got quotes for two different systems - Impco and OMVL. OMVL guys are telling that their system is better for fuel injected cars as its got electronic controls etc. Any opinions from our experts out there ...

Thanks.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Impco designed and developed in conjunction with holden...lot of ppl going for that one coz its better

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
i would go impco system and nothing else, there systems are really good never had a problem with them, just got my holden 5.7L done with there system for the 5.7

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Bennsy have they sorted out your LPG teething problems?

Im interested in knowing, what happened to your system!

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
Wagon Man: teething problem? im finally getting the tech guy to look at it on tuesday, hopefully it will be all fixed by then, it works when it wants to at moment so yeah but even with the little drama im having a moment, when on gas still runs good.

im suspecting it mite be a ecu issue thats the problem but then again i could be wrong.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Thanks Bennzy , hopefully you can get it all sorted on Tuesday....

Let us all know how you go...:thumbsup:

C

cheongk

Thanks guys. Just booked my car in for conversion (Impco system). Cost is $2770 but a long queue due to shortage of parts (especially the LPG tank). I'm driving (from Vic) to Adelaide before Christmas so I'm hopeing that it can be done before then. Apparently the government did not notify the industry that they were going to subsidise LPG conversion so everyone was caught with their pants down.

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
cheongk ,

Where abouts are you getting in done?

I'm also living in Vic, with a stock standard VXII Exec (v6) and looking at getting the conversion. And wouldn't you know it, I'm also driving back to Adelaide at Christmas (that's where I'm from originally).

I can't decide what system to get installed... does the one you're getting installed fully integrate into the LCD display etc?

C

cheongk

A company called Smithy's located at Bayswater. They were recommended to me by one of the Holden dealers. I called Smithy's and they said that they would send me some information about LPG conversion, which they did. I was surprised as I didn't expect to see anything in the mail. Hopefully this level of professionalism carries on to their workmanship as well.

Anyway, its a genuine IMPCO duel fuel system with 4 valve LPG cylinder (94litre=74 litre usable capacity). Uses your petrol gauge to display the LPG level. Quality brass water fittings and hoses, electronic modules located under dash board, wiring made with solder, 3 year/100,000 KM national warranty, vehicle dyno tuned and complementary return service and adjustments.

Contact details: 9762 2333 (Smithy's car repairs and lpg conversions)

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Did you have to put down a deposit? If so, how much? And when roughly is the conversion being done? A few months?