Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lpg Conversion..is it worth?? VY EXEC

matt 7650

matt7650
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S1
hey guys,
i am new with just comm.
just wondering if someone can help me,
i want to convert my vy exec to lpg.
is it worth? and
what will happen to my engine and
will i be getting the same power?

please help me!!!!!:supersad::supersad:

blownba

Reaction score
I reckon it is.
With liquid injection you will have more power than petrol (see this months street machine it has a good write up on the JTG liquid injection systems I fit)
Or vapour injection is still VERY good, fair bit cheaper but no power loss no chance of backfire and perfect running with excellent engine longevity due to perfect fuel delivery not allowing the mixtures to go too rich and run the engine valves too hot and burn them prematurely.
Liquid injection is said to increase engine life more than any other system available and some reckon more than petrol due to the fact that it sprays the freezing LPG on the valve running it super cool increasing life.

OR go for a Impco factory conversion ( I have a kit in stock at the moment).
This is also a great conversion for VY.
It is the factory kit only that will intergrate the dash and petrol ECU with the LPG system. We program the dash and ECU to LPG spec so it will display the LPG tank picture on the dash when on gas and the gas level will be on the petrol gauge when running on gas.
the beauty of the factory system is that the factory ECU runs the gas system totally. So it has a different map or tune for LPG and this will maximise performance.
NO other mixer system will intergrate with the factory ECU OR the dash.
And you have piece of mind with Holden backing and a excellent warranty.
I have one of the last few kits left, it is for a wagon but getting a sedan kit is easy.
If you are interested you can PM me.
I can sell just the kit only even without the wagon tank.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I had my VX V6 on LPG, save a lot of money (especially when fuel was at 1:40ish) and noticed almost no difference in power. Also this was an older LPG system, not like the ones now.

Put my V8 Caprice WK on LPG after I bought it. Drives great!

Also, the VY can fit a less expensive system on the ecotech motor which the VZ cant. If you go for that one, you'll get most of it covered by gov rebates. If you lived in WA, it will be virtually free system.

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
I reckon it is.
With liquid injection you will have more power than petrol (see this months street machine it has a good write up on the JTG liquid injection systems I fit)
Or vapour injection is still VERY good, fair bit cheaper but no power loss no chance of backfire and perfect running with excellent engine longevity due to perfect fuel delivery not allowing the mixtures to go too rich and run the engine valves too hot and burn them prematurely.
Liquid injection is said to increase engine life more than any other system available and some reckon more than petrol due to the fact that it sprays the freezing LPG on the valve running it super cool increasing life.

Your right there mate. I've read up on this brand new Direct Liquid Injection technology and i reckon it will help the fuel situation for another 5 years. Formulated in Italy by an Italian company they managed to finally make the Liquid stay into liquid even when it reaches the engine. With LPG the liquid always turns into gas when it gets too hot and so it expands into gas from the liquid. When a gas tanker puts LPG into the pumps at petrol stations you'll see all this smoke come from the ground, this is a great example.

I've heard rumours about this new system being able to increase power of up to 3-4kw faster than a petrol engine. Holden and Ford have been testing it apparently and because it takes longer to burn than a normal petrol or LPG engine it saves money. One rumour i've heard was that it cut $20-$30 off the Clubsport R8 a week.

Correct me if im wrong but this is what i've been told. It's still new to me this technology. The Government should look into this and hopefully make rebates on this advanced technology.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
I had my VY done back in February. I had a Romano SVI kit installed.
I get around 600 - 650km to a tank of gas and no power difference as far as I can see.
The SVI kit starts on petrol and switches over to LPG when the engine reaches
a certain temperature (I think about 40'c). So you will need to keep your fuel
tank at least a quarter full. My installation cost $4200 and I got $2000 rebate
from the government 2 days later in my bank account, so I was happy.
It costs about $35 - $40 to fill tank of gas, which is a considerable saving from $95 - $120 for fuel.
Definately worth doing, only wish I had done it ages ago.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Another option you may want to consider. When I had my VX the LPG tank took up about half of the boot space. On the WK what I did was pay a little extra and I got a donut tank put in where the spare wheel was to go. What happens when you get a flat tyre? Well to solve this issue I got a $20 run-flat-it consisting of a can of foam. If my tyre goes flat, I pump in the foam which gets me home to my spare tyre or a the nearest tyre shop.

Plus if you go on long trips or holidays, all you need to do is put the spare tyre in the boot.

Talk to your LPG installer about this option. My WK's boot looks as if there is no LPG and its will also be better for resale (i think).

blownba

Reaction score
Your right there mate. I've read up on this brand new Direct Liquid Injection technology and i reckon it will help the fuel situation for another 5 years. Formulated in Italy by an Italian company they managed to finally make the Liquid stay into liquid even when it reaches the engine. With LPG the liquid always turns into gas when it gets too hot and so it expands into gas from the liquid. When a gas tanker puts LPG into the pumps at petrol stations you'll see all this smoke come from the ground, this is a great example.

I've heard rumours about this new system being able to increase power of up to 3-4kw faster than a petrol engine. Holden and Ford have been testing it apparently and because it takes longer to burn than a normal petrol or LPG engine it saves money. One rumour i've heard was that it cut $20-$30 off the Clubsport R8 a week.

Correct me if im wrong but this is what i've been told. It's still new to me this technology. The Government should look into this and hopefully make rebates on this advanced technology.

I think you may be talking about indirect Liquid injection (indirect is injected into the port like petrol) direct injection for LPG (liquid injection of course) is on its way, and in Italy they have already started fitting it, we will have it later this year. It will obviously only be available in direct injection petrol engines, as we will be seeing more and more of these in the near future.
I have been fitting liquid injection by Icom since the begining (in Australia) and have had nothing but perfect customer feedback and satisfaction.
The last VE 6.0L I did gained a massive 12.6 RWKW!!!!!!! and a huge spike in Torque at 2100rpm of 106NM!!!
I haven't dynoed a V6 yet but I would be willing to bet at least a 3-5 RWKW increase in power with at least 60NM more of torque down low.
These figures can be optimised by a tune of course.

If you want to know more about the Icom JTG liquid injection systems I am talking about grab a copy of this months street machine and have a read. there is a full 3 page spread on it in there.

The only drawback of this system is the price.

kalu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
hi blownba ,

have u got another lpg factory kit for a vt/vx?