Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG Conversion

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I want to convert the Commodore to gas, as I do 850k's a week going and coming from work and filling at around $1.55 is adding up!

Any recommended companies, mechanics in the Sydney/Wollongong area that do gas conversions?

Thanks

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
There are a couple of different LPG systems.

The standard is a mixer system, where gas is injected into the air intake pipe... Its cheap and effective but it has draw backs. Firstly, the flow of gas to each cylinder isnt even... So some get too much, some not enough. It results in poorer economy and your engine wont last as long.

The second system is a gas injection system, where basically the gas is converted from a liquid to gas form and then sent through your fuel rail and through special injectors. This results in more power than petrol, give better economy and is better for your engine.

The best system is liquid injection... where gas is sent to the injectors as a liquid and then converted into gas by the injector. This is advantageous as it means much lower injection temps (suited to forced induction). Also doesnt require a heat converter meaning easier starts. It is the most expensive though.

There are a couple of ways of doing it though... As V6 Commodore engines are very very cheap, its a good idea to use the standard mixer system, then when your engine dies simply change it over (even better if you can do it yourself).

Im seriously considering using the gas injection system (which costs around $3500) as there is no loss of power, it completely replaces the fuel system (so fuel tank/pump can be removed) and should last a lot longer.

If you remove the fuel system, you can often put a gas tank in its place, so you dont lose boot space.

ianf

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS 'S' Utility
Just do your homework, I went to see about getting my done, it's alaso a 3.8 but the guys told me they were not really keen on doing it?, when I asked why I was told that there have been a lot of cons done on this model that have turned into nightmares, when I pushed them on it they told me straight up to "save my money", they would not do it but if i really wanted to go on with it someone would take my money, but no these guys!!!

kezvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnexecutive wagon
hi just had my vs wagon converted to lpg going price atm is 68 cents you do the math car goes like sting getting the same milage as petrol just a bit down in torque but whoos raceing with these speeding fine prices im useing 75 dollars in petrol per week now down to around 30 so it will have been paid of in no time complete system cost 2800 got 2000 back for ruddy cant fault it atm will give update every month and if any problems i will also tell ya all had it also fitted on my l300 mitsubishi van going great also my choice get it fitted and save 55%on every tank of on running costs cheers

Mr Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV
hey man i got mine done in fairfield last week and so far so good. get good mileage out of it too. cost me 2300

have you got a phone number for this guie im in the same area as you and got quoted a little more than that.

Cheers

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
yeah man the number is 9756 2111 they have done a good job on my car and also my grandads au i also saw them doing a vs maloo ute. while i was there. its called fairfield heights auto centre

Mr Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV
Your d man cheers.Ill give them a buz tomoro and get a quote for my 5.0.
let you no how i go.

Mr Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV
2700 and nearly 2months for a tank doh