Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG CONVersion?

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
convert it and you will make that 300 back in a matter of a month or 2 and the rest is saving money :D

people give gas a bad rep but its seriously fantastic concidering how much i pay and how many km's i get..... why pay $1.20 a litre when i can pay 50c?

i have heard ezy gas are pretty good... haven't heard a bad thing yet :)

spot on :D, ive had 3 lpg cars and its all good. A VN V6 and i didnt have one backfire (didnt even service it, hey i was younger), a VB 253 but had a few backfires due to mix but were only small and my current VC 308 which works just fine on LPG. Mate it feels good putting in $20 and getting 3 quarters of a tank to use.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
yeah, kind of pisses me off now when people talk gas down when they've never tried it. my 5ltr runs BETTER on gas that petrol! much smoother idle. gas is cleaner for the engine too. and anyone who notices a lack of power is either tricking themselves or has a crap system. while taking my aircon out i bumped the converter, stuffed up the mixtures, and now it won't run on gas (i guess you could say that's 1 bad thing about it :p). so i've been driving on petrol for a week. i haven't noticed a single difference, except for the fact that it's rougher on idling. and it's costing me more than twice as much. gay

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
yeah, kind of pisses me off now when people talk gas down when they've never tried it. my 5ltr runs BETTER on gas that petrol! much smoother idle. gas is cleaner for the engine too. and anyone who notices a lack of power is either tricking themselves or has a crap system. while taking my aircon out i bumped the converter, stuffed up the mixtures, and now it won't run on gas (i guess you could say that's 1 bad thing about it :p). so i've been driving on petrol for a week. i haven't noticed a single difference, except for the fact that it's rougher on idling. and it's costing me more than twice as much. gay

Well, i have had a gas powered car and i'll never have one again....In fact, the vehicle in question is now back on petrol after having it on LPG for about 12 months. I definately felt a loss in power and a huge loss in torque. I towed a tandem trailer with a car on it and it REALLY struggled to pull it on gas, now towing the exact same car on petrol it tows no problems. The car also got nowhere near the K's out of gas that it gets on petrol. It's also a faulse economy anyway, with the ammount of cars i repair expensive problems on, due to gas.....All in all, i wouldn't recommend gas to anyone!

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
and the hole thing is gas burns at a higher octane rating and burns better under compression with the right mods you can see a quiet tidy increase in power :thumbsup:

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Well, i have had a gas powered car and i'll never have one again....In fact, the vehicle in question is now back on petrol after having it on LPG for about 12 months. I definately felt a loss in power and a huge loss in torque. I towed a tandem trailer with a car on it and it REALLY struggled to pull it on gas, now towing the exact same car on petrol it tows no problems. The car also got nowhere near the K's out of gas that it gets on petrol. It's also a faulse economy anyway, with the ammount of cars i repair expensive problems on, due to gas.....All in all, i wouldn't recommend gas to anyone!

yeah i remember you saying you even used to install gas? i dunno, i've had 2 cars on gas now and i've never had a problem at all. last vn had 320xxx gas kms on it and was still going strong!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i remember you saying you even used to install gas? i dunno, i've had 2 cars on gas now and i've never had a problem at all. last vn had 320xxx gas kms on it and was still going strong!

Yes, you are quiet correct, i used to install gas. Not any more though....Way too many hassles installing gas, i'll never install gas again either.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
and the hole thing is gas burns at a higher octane rating and burns better under compression with the right mods you can see a quiet tidy increase in power :thumbsup:

Gas USED to have a higher octane rating, thats why people used to use it in performance applications as you could run more compression without the likelyhood of detonation. These days gas is full off crap, now car LPG is just the **** from the bottom off the barrel so to speak that the refinerys can't use for anything else....

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Gas USED to have a higher octane rating, thats why people used to use it in performance applications as you could run more compression without the likelyhood of detonation. These days gas is full off crap, now car LPG is just the **** from the bottom off the barrel so to speak that the refinerys can't use for anything else....

lol that's what i thought to but im just relaying what i was told i must admit the amount of cars needing gasline and converter clean outs due to waxing these days has increase a lot which is why cheep gas aint always good gas

Last edited:

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
..... cheep gas aint always good gas......

funny you should mention that - my experience using Woolworths LPG has been bad *every* time the missus filled up with it. Car would hesitate, stall quite a bit when slowing down for lights, stop signs etc - basically the car ran quite poorly when using Woolies LPG.

On the other hand, now we stick to Mobil LPG all the time - no such problems at all. The quality just seems to be better, and consistently better. I cannot really notice any power difference at all between using LPG and normal petrol ? Car seems to be just as slow using either ! :) ( normally I ride a ZX12R kawasaki with 165 rwhp - so everything else seems *very* slow...)

Even towing on LPG (which I had been warned about as being a real issue on gas) - is no problem, I regularly tow a bike trailer with 1 or 2 road (track) bikes up to Sydney and back......the VN on LPG does it with ease....

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
i flatly refuse to use wollies or coles gas or petrol there both crap and i know when my local guy gets his delivered so i try to get it when the servos tank is full touch wood no problems yet in any of the lpg cars ive had