Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG CONVersion?

joerossetti3131

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hey

Im new here.
I have a 1991 VN Berlina commordore. It has done close one 260,000 k's
I was given the car.
As i cannot afford the petrol, I have the choice of selling the car for around 1k and buying a corolla.
Or converting it to gas.
After gov rebate, it will cost me around $300 with EZY-GAS
Is it a good idea to convert? As i here holdens dont handle gas well
I only plan to have to car for 3-5 years longer, as long as possible, as i am a student and dont wish too put large amount of money into it.
If i do convert it, should i put it to srtaight gas? or duel fuel.

Also, is EZY-GAS the best and reliable?

Cheers
Joe

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
mate a service lean chip and injector clean would be the way i would go.
With gas you would need to maintain the car better of suffer backfires, like any car.
On petrol it will be a lot more forgiving, then on gas.
on gas smoother and less noise though, also less boot space.

joerossetti3131

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
hey
sorry, could you dumben the language down haha
"mate a service lean chip and injector clean would be the way i would go"
are you saying to keep it on petrol?
i can't afford to keep it on petrol, thats why im trying to either convert or sell.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
convert it and you will make that 300 back in a matter of a month or 2 and the rest is saving money :D

people give gas a bad rep but its seriously fantastic concidering how much i pay and how many km's i get..... why pay $1.20 a litre when i can pay 50c?

i have heard ezy gas are pretty good... haven't heard a bad thing yet :)

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Put it on gas!.. I put my VP Berlina on gas sometime ago (Bout 50,000kms), and the only issue I have is sometimes it has worries starting cold (I try to start on petrol anyways). The amount of dollars you will save is incredable especially if you are traveling a fair bit.

Something to keep in mind though; you will need to keep your car well tuned, a poorly tuned gas system will run like arse, and use just as much juice.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
go gas every car converted suffers back firing at some stage weather its a ford holden or otherwise ive owned a fairmont a fairlane and 2 vps on gas and at the end of the day id rather pay 30$ to fill my tank than 70$ its worth it

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
hi, you don't have to post 2 threads with the same question to get an answer.

yes, you should put your car on gas. holden's handle gas perfectly well. you will be given a dual fuel setup for that price, which is perfectly fine. all you have to do is start your car on petrol (when it's cold), then after a few minutes of driving switch over to gas. even if ezy gas tell you that you don't have to do it - do it anyway. i had gas installed in my car and they said not to bother, but the problem is that lpg needs to be vaporised before it's burnt. it does this through the converter, which uses your coolant to heat up the gas. if the car's cold - it won't vaporise - and it will run really bad on gas until it warms up. that's why you start it on petrol.

ask ezy-gas what's included in the price for the conversion. i cannot stress enough the importance of new spark plugs and leads. if you do not get these - you run a much greater risk of backfire. it's worth the extra bit of money to include these if the conversion doesn't.

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
Lpg on Commodores is fine, people who save on services tune ups are the ones who blame LPG.

Most of the current generation LPG converts include a "start up in petrol" first then it automatically changes to LPG once it has started. This does save the engine when it's cold can cause the Valves to pit.

You can also have a "valve saver" dripper bottle adding this allows some oil to get sucked into the inlet manifolds to lubricate the cylinder heads. It also increases slightly the compression meaning better performance.

You should run the car on petrol once a month at least to just help it along, it also saves the injectors from getting clogged.

Defineately aggree on these.
- new sparkplugs for LPG (larger gap)
- new spark plug leads 9mm etc.
- change the oil for one that is designed to run LPG.
(note the oil tends to stay cleaner when running on LPG, as there is less carbon getting into the motor).
- K& N filter or similar to enable better breathing.
- Also a simple mod to save backfires is to install a drain plug like your sink that can pop first saving the diaphram on the LPG mixer. (Most TAXI drivers have this installed - goes on the side of your air box. and allows it to pop first).

I'd also check your coil pack , being a VN, it might have the old square top one, try to find a cheap VR /VS one they were built better.

hope this helps
Tony

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
I wish I had converted the VN to LPG back in the 90's !!!

Its way cheaper, and when you do all the mods as suggested above (new plugs, leads, fit pop-off valve into airbox) - it works 110% really well.

The conversion fitted to my VN is an auto-switch style - starts on petrol, then changes over to LPG at a pre-set rpm - basically to allow the car to warm up a bit (idling after start and rolling up the drive / dwon the street), then changing to LPG. Stays on LPG until you shut the engine off.

I get around 350km per tankful, and >450 on the highway!

Best conversion you can do.

:)