Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lpg converter..what's this?

Skoti69

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VX Executive
Can anyone please tell me what this hole/pipe/vent is for and what should be attached and where should whatever attached attach to? Thanks

Attachments

• images (9).jpeg
    images (9).jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 252

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Can anyone please tell me what this hole/pipe/vent is for and what should be attached and where should whatever attached attach to? Thanks
Probably for coolant - should have some heater hose attached. Is there similar thingo on the other side?
Idea is to prevent the converter freezing up as the LPG evaporates. If you were in Darwin, probably would not be needed.

Skoti69

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VX Executive
It's got a connection to the cooling system on the other side, which is what has me at a bit of a loss as to what it's for haha.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
It flows coolant through it to stop gas from freezing up

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I think its a vent if you don't have boost it stays open but Im only guessing the last car I worked on with gas had a carbie so I don't no much in reality.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A converter has small LPG ‘in’ port (hard line from tank) a gas ‘out’ port (big rubber pipe to carb or small rubber pipes to injectors) and coolant in and out lines (stops the converter from freezing). They also have a reference pressure port that goes to the inlet manifold.

Depending on power needs, some engines have two converters o_O

But if you’re not sure on what is what, google the part number or brand of converter and you may find a maintenance manual that should 100% clarify what port goes where.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That’s just a vent needs to be open to the atmosphere. Usually it’s plumbed into the Airbox or intake pipe.

When using boost depending on converter model you can boost reference it so that positive pressure forces the diaphragm to move further to supply more gas when required.

Skoti69

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VX Executive
That’s just a vent needs to be open to the atmosphere. Usually it’s plumbed into the Airbox or intake pipe.

When using boost depending on converter model you can boost reference it so that positive pressure forces the diaphragm to move further to supply more gas when required.

Yeah I had it plumbed into the air intake but then was reading a manual and read this (refer to attached picture)

Does that mean it shouldn't be plumbed into the intake?

It's and omvl r90e converter by the way of that helps.

And thanks for responses! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190805_002504.jpg
    Screenshot_20190805_002504.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 229

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Your attached snapshot was hard for me to read so downloaded the manual from here. The language within parts of the manual seem to be rather poor quality chinglish (maybe)... though the part you're interested in isn't too bad...

"Protect the venting hole on the steel cover from air flow coming from the engine cooling fan. A strong air flow on low pressure membrane, can cause wrong engine operation due to incorrect gas flow rate"

So i'd say simply leaving it open and protecting it from strong airflow so it reads atmospheric pressure should be OK.
You may also be interested in this old JC thread which discusses your converted.