Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG Convertor Rebuild (Membranes) Advice/Pointers??

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
Howdys,

About to remove and rebuild a BRC Genius (Fly) convertor and replace the membranes and O rings as it is leaking LPG into the cooling system (Temperature fluctuations) and occasional rough idle... Already serviced the lock off valve and twin filters so thats all that is really left at the moment, besides replacing the temp sensor wiring harness ( I have an intermittent break in continuity from a damaged/kinked wire)

First time rebuild folks, any advice or pointers I should know about before I go ahead and do the repairs?

I have allen key socket hex heads and all the tools required, but just wondering if anyone has any advice that might have done this before already? I couldn't find anything in the DIY section of the forums, yes, I did search first before posting :)
Looked at a few vids on Youtube also, but nothing specific to my BRC convertor.

Thanks heaps!

Attachments

• brc2.png
    brc2.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
This is about all I could find regarding videos... Ill take some pics and post it if all goes well :) lol

MrVZS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2
And this is why you change the membrane gaskets in your LPG convertor folks...
Vehicle has 165,000klms (2005) and I can honestly say they are the original gaskets judging by the condition :(
The middle spacer plate is pitted out, so I wont even bother doing the job until I can get a spare from the wreckers, or replace with new (Not an option financially atm)
IMG_20191227_224512.jpg
IMG_20191227_224522.jpg
IMG_20191227_224536.jpg
IMG_20191227_224559.jpg

Spewing :(

MrVZS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2
Can anyone recommend a good parts supplier for LPG parts and or new Convertors that sells at the right price? I understand you cant give them away and I'm happy to pay a fair price, I just don't want to be taken advantage of*

BRC Genius MAX ( I prefer the older style black one if possible)

$440 on Ebay Australia
$280 on Ebay UK + $40 shipping

If I could get a good second hand one that simply isnt pitted out on the adapter plate in the middle, I can rebuild it with the new membranes etc..

Thanks for any help* (Desperate)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Brc is one of the less common systems. You’d probably be searching a while before you find a second hand one.

Depends on your location, but here in vic you’d recoup that $320 in a matter of weeks with the difference in petrol/lpg costs. Probably worth buying new tbh to avoid any chance of it happening again.

MrVZS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2

MrVZS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2
Im Mid North Coast NSW. Your probably right regarding what you said, I hear you. The problem is sufficient funds* as Im a single dad atm... Mother was an alcoholic, had to quit my job and take on my 8 month old son full time... I bought the dual fuel car to try and save $$$ lol...

Appreciate the response :)

Brc is one of the less common systems. You’d probably be searching a while before you find a second hand one.

Depends on your location, but here in vic you’d recoup that $320 in a matter of weeks with the difference in petrol/lpg costs. Probably worth buying new tbh to avoid any chance of it happening again.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
tffjv.jpg

Now there's a great Dad.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Could try take it into a machine shop and ask what they can do with it can either skim it as is or fill in the indents with weld and skim it or might make you new one cheap enough