Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lpg escaping airbox when car off wtf? WTF!!!!!!!! W!!!!T!!!!!!F!!!!!? :/

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
my dual fuel 6 has gotten hard to start, taking about 7 seconds of cranking before it starts. it always used to start near strait away, under 2 seconds cold. it only started happening when my lpg mech. changed the wiring and lpg computer, as it wasnt runing correctly then. after they did that job it was hard to start as i explained above. (i have been asking these guys about this issue, and its been back there to fix, but they r being muppets. no idea whatsoever i think). i located the lpg escaping from my half toasted airbox. my airbox was toasted well before this hard starting problem began, so that isnt the problem i think.
does anyone know if the gas woulda leaked out like this before my problem started, or if the lpg system isnt starting correctly?. or should there not be lpg coming out of the airbox when i turn off? meaning there would be something not working right in the air ductor at the tb...
how long should it take to get lpg from the mixer to the tb? personally i dont think the lpg should be escaping when off, but maybee im wrong.
HELP PLEASE!!!!! ;)

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
try starting it on petrol mate
then switch to gas, itll work ;)

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
i realise that, but i dont wanna do it that way. ide rather it worked as it did prior. much more betterer...........
thanks for that feedback anyway vkjonno...
would love to hear from someone that knows how lpg systems work

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Not sure how yours is set up but mine gets a quick squirt of petrol when I start it and it fires straight away just like it is running on petrol. I don't get any lpg escaping through the airbox though, don't know if any of that helps ya.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I don't know a lot about lpg systems but I do know this much from sad experience. If you are getting lpg in your air box (I assume air filter box) when your engine is not running, you better hope your ignition is spot on. A back fire will do severe damage to your AFM, airbox and sundry sensors. Saw the results of this on an EF falcon. all the plastic parts of the inlet manifold were destroyed. There should be a complete shutoff of the lpg when you stop your engine. Any lpg leaks are just plain wrong and dangerous. Don't let anybody tell you different. Another point is that when you turn your engine off, the lpg valve is supposed to stop any further gas flowing. the engine spinning down the last few revs should suck any residual gas into the cylinders leaving none in the inlet manifold or airbox. dunno if this helps but I hope so. I thought Holden recommended dual fuel cars starting on petrol then switching to gas?

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
just was hunting around in the passenger footwell and found the lpg computer. its a gastec fp32 fuel processor. from what i can make out so far from net searches, is that this has a petrol start feature too, sounds like the mech hasnt set it up properly. also, anyone know if both the plugs on the FP32 are meant to be in all the time. mine has only one in, and the other is unplugged (i think this one is for the vavle on the pipe taking lpg to the tb. ) it seems to obvious for that to be the issue. i think i need to suss this petrol start feature and maybee question my mech. on that issue.

thanks very much graham and JMP... legends.
any further points of view or additional info will be appreciated. cheers

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
im getting a gut feeling that valve is not connected to the lpg computer when maybee it should be, therefore the valve not operating properly. ill scream if thats it :p

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
start screaming. I think you have hit the nail on the head.

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
well, i still havent confirmed that that isnt the way its meant to run yet as i been in a 20 sleep coma after getting bruised ribs at cricket, but......
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! :)
if that loom is meant to be connected, you can imagine ill have a few choice words to say to the mechanic. how could a qualified lpg installer miss something like that.. i would be expecting some shop credit or something at LEAST. ill post the result anyway...
thanks for the feedback again guys.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
get it serviced by an LPG service centre ????