Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG HSV's? What the?

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Looks all good to me, if you get same performance as a petrol run v8, who really cares? but although the petrol prices did drop so LPG isnt as cheaper as it was a few weeks ago. Oohh..can you see it?...LPG V8 Clipsal 500...lol

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
i don't think some people understand , including the maker of this thread, that if HOLDEN/HSV don't start pushing more towards fuel economy they are going to go bankrupt.

unfortunately there would be more market for a cheap to run HSV over a normal one.

modified market is very small these days.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Your buying a HSV - a car known to be the sporty line and a car that is in the range of around $70,000. If you buy a HSV I highly doubt you are interested in fuel consumption or economy. Sure introduce them in the commodore models, thats where the families buy - the people who are worried about the petrol prices.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Someone tell me you can buy dual fuel commodores yes ? I know ford does them but not sure bout holden ? Anyway i reckon its a good idea, and have you not noticed that heaps of well off people are actually real tight asses ? thats how they save their money, so i reckon its a goer, as long as the offer the same in the standard commodores.

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Your buying a HSV - a car known to be the sporty line and a car that is in the range of around $70,000. If you buy a HSV I highly doubt you are interested in fuel consumption or economy. Sure introduce them in the commodore models, thats where the families buy - the people who are worried about the petrol prices.

If you had the choice of a car that cost $20/100kms or $13/100kms which would you chose? It doesn't matter that you want a sports car, if you can run it cheaper then why not?

greenacc said:
Someone tell me you can buy dual fuel commodores yes ?

Yes, on the omega models currently you can, and the vy and vz i believe you could buy duel fuels.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
If you choose performance you have to accept... you should accept the fact that its going to cost more in petrol. Its like people who buy V8's and moan about petrol prices - go buy a lancer.

Should Holden introduce LPG - YES! HSV on the otherhand... Id rather not but hey if its not effecting the performance.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx

Im sure all people are interested in being able to run the car for less coin, wheter they care how many litres/100km it gets or not. and the difference on a 6L vehicle that does 20000km in city traffic per year(they dont get <15L/100km here) would easily pay for a couple of new plasmas every year.

Why do people buy high performance smaller cars?

You may have noticed most 70s muscle cars are parked and not used as daily drivers. The lpg rebate has seen many of them convert and now they can enjoy their cars more often, which isnt so good for the environment:whistling

but it is acknowleged in the release:

Regardless of how well its LPG system runs, HSV will still have a marketing battle on its hands to convince customers the fuel can be used in a muscle-car.

Obviously they have much work to do in making people such as Grennan feel comfortable about driving on lpg, perhaps they can have one of those adds where your finger grows larger if its on lpg.

Really,what is not to like, its going to go just as fast with the lgi system....if it were me Id want one that was lpg only, no petrol tank to weigh it down. Actually, they could up the compression ratio on lpg only and it would be even faster than the petrol version....now that would get people thinking do they really want the petrol version?
Im sure they have run the scenarios here, what I dont know of course is how much it would take to properly develop a higher compression motor and the resistance many would have to driving an lpg only vehicle.

Last edited:

blownba

Reaction score
This is crap IMO.
They have gone the wrong way. they are running VSI and a pretty sad system too (same brand as the omega LPG commo) The system cannot flow enogh gas so it has to swap back to petrol at certain rpm/ load.
That is poor to say the least.
I have personally fitted the new JTG LIQUID LPG INJECTION to a 317 VE and this system is far superior than VSI. It injects the LPG as a liquid into the intake and this freezes or supechills the incomming air charge therefore making it more dense thus increasing performance above that of petrol.
The one I did absolutley pooped on petrol (premium) performance right across the rangs, from idle to redline it put petrol to same.
I can't tell you the results for that one but for the VE calais 6.0L I have also done it came up with 225RWKW on PULP and 243RWKW on LPG!!!!!!!
That is with no tune at all. With a tune for LPG this figure is improved again.
This system runs a pump inside the gas tank and runs the liquid LPG right up to the injectors and it runs a return line and pressure regulator just likje petrol.
There is no converter or reducer to deal with and the system flows more than enough to run a 317 to redline all day long.

They should have gone with JTG. At least than they would have had a system that would compare to the car. The Engines are awesome in em and they run like a friggin animal so when they go even better on LPG thats something that makes me smile every time. And certainly makes my customers happy too and it shows by the amount of people who I have booked in for it.
JTG All the way.
HSV should take note and look into it. If they want to introduce LPG they should do it with a real big bang. Imagine them being able to sell a 317 as a (for instance) 360 running LPG!!!!!!!! Eat that sukka's!!!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Why do people buy high performance smaller cars?

You may have noticed most 70s muscle cars are parked and not used as daily drivers.

Smaller cars because people love the fact they can whoop a thumping V8 with minimal effort. Never once have I heard any of the guys say " I bought my Evo X/R34/Sti because it is economical, they chew as much fuel as V8's LMAO, in a 30 minute test drive of an Evo X my l/100km was at 37. Hey what would I know though, I have only driven them and know many people who own them.

As for 70's muscle cars tehy are hardly parked because of fuel, they are parked because 99% of them are worth a bloody fortune. From LC toranas to RX2's, wwith how many are being stolen its not worth people seeing them, who uses a 70's muscle car as a daily anyway?