Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG in VT Wagon which tank, Conventional or "Donut"?

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I have been getting quotes on LPG installation (in S.A.) on the our VT wagon and have had a quote for $2,200 with conventional 68 litre tank mounted along (not across) the rear cargo area next to the right wheel arch or $2,600 for the 50 litre "Donut" tank which will occupy the spare wheel area and move the spare wheel into the r/h cargo area.

I wonder if the donut tank with it's smaller capacity is worth the extra $400 for the cargo area advantage which will still be lost to a degree with the spare wheel and mounting bracket?

Has anyone who has a VT/X/Y wagon on gas found avantages or disadvantages with either tank choice?

I did do a search but could not find anything specifically about the LPG tank choices.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
I've got the LPG Donut Tank in my VX.

It holds 55 Litres.

Its alot more neater conversion ,tank is out of sight and if you want to utilize the entire cargo space you can , just take the spare tyre out.

A 68 litre tank will take up alot more room than having the spare mounted on the R/H wheel arch.

It will involve more butchering of your interior and floor from running gas pipes etc.

You will also encounter issues accessing your spare tyre.

The only advantaged i could possible see is the extra 13 litres capacity (100km's).

IMO well worth the extra $400.

Especially with the $2000 rebate...:thumbsup:

gruntavt

HSV-I Don't want one ;-)
Reaction score
Members Ride
vess-luckily
^^^^^ x 2 Agree

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
so in him gettn a 2000 rebate does that be he only pays say 600 if he was to get the donut one?

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Correct, it will only cost him $600.

He will have to pay $2600 up front and then claim the $2000 back from the government (Medicare or Centrelink) .

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks 'Wagon Man' for your prompt reply and good advice.
This 2K rebate is unbelievable isn't it? I am 43 years old and have never seen our Government do anything like this before, it is also going to assist the environment, but without sounding too synical I wonder what else will go up to cover this rebate, rego and license renewals and ofcourse petrol excise and the eminent LPG excise, I hate negative people and now I'm being one:ranting:

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Its just the governments way of making more money from tax.

Its good business ethics. They are waving the $2000 carrot in front of the public.

This rebate is available to the 14/08/2014.

Example:

Lets say without the rebate 9% of the motoring public had LPG.....

Lets say with the rebate 36% of the motoring public has LPG....

When the excise is applied to LPG the will have 400% more of the motoring public paying the excise than if they never offered the rebate.

You will still buy petrol (dual fuel) and be paying the petrol excise on that.

The pinkslip (roadworthy) for LPG is about $10 more in NSW.

Rego/ insurance/ taxes etc we will have to wait and see.

I could keep on going on and on but I hate negative people too and now I'm being one.

Let us know if you go ahead with the install :thumbsup:

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
i thought it was a short term rebate but untill 2014 now thats pretty good. i had my old car on gas never notice the diff with power between both fuels but if i was to get it, id lean more with just gas only an take the fuel off alltogether

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
WAGON MAN said:
Its just the governments way of making more money from tax.

Its good business ethics. They are waving the $2000 carrot in front of the public.

This rebate is available to the 14/08/2014.

Example:

Lets say without the rebate 9% of the motoring public had LPG.....

Lets say with the rebate 36% of the motoring public has LPG....

When the excise is applied to LPG the will have 400% more of the motoring public paying the excise than if they never offered the rebate.

You will still buy petrol (dual fuel) and be paying the petrol excise on that.

The pinkslip (roadworthy) for LPG is about $10 more in NSW.

Rego/ insurance/ taxes etc we will have to wait and see.

I could keep on going on and on but I hate negative people too and now I'm being one.

Let us know if you go ahead with the install :thumbsup:

Yes I figured there was a long term general revenue benefit as far as LPG excise is concerned and to cover the 2K rebate the LPG excise will be higher by 2011 than if the rebate was never offered in the first place.

I would also assume that the price after October this year of LPG will creep up maybe just a few cents but multiply that with the amount of extra vehicles which will be on LPG within a year or so due to the 2K rebate and the Govt. won't only recover their money (1.5 Billion I think) for the rebate package but they will probably make money on it to.

How much money did Australians spend trying to win the 30 million dollar lottery a couple of years ago?.......56 million.....and a good net profit for the lotteries commission of approx 16 million......where can I buy a lotteries commission franchise?:thumbsup:

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Wagon Man, did you have to get a memcal re-flash? Some do some don't, also some install a little LED LPG guage and others utilize the existing guage in the cluster which occurs with the memcal re-write, I have however heard of problems with utilizing the original cluster fuel guage such as inaccurate readings, fuel light flashing and beeping when there is plenty of fuel etc.
Which guage type did you get and have you had any trouble with it?