Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG LS1

christiansservinis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS VY SS
Ive got a vx ss and vy ss both on lpg? Is there an easy way to remove the lpg wires and tank with a kit or do i need to take it to a mechanic? If i do how much would it cost for 1 car to get the lpg taken out of it?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Have you rung up a few lpg places for a quote? Its only a few phone calls and you’d know the ins and outs :cool:

Id guess it would cost less if the system still runs so you can use up all the lpg within the tank prior to removal… as it makes the job easier with a lighter almost empty tank ;) but why remove wha5 works?

christiansservinis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS VY SS
Have you rung up a few lpg places for a quote? Its only a few phone calls and you’d know the ins and outs :cool:

Id guess it would cost less if the system still runs so you can use up all the lpg within the tank prior to removal… as it makes the job easier with a lighter almost empty tank ;) but why remove wha5 works?

we’ll the vx ss has been sitting outside for 10 years and the vy ss has been under cover. early this month i tried getting the vx running but i didn’t know if it was on gas or petrol to start the car. unless it needs a new fuel rail and system

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
If a car has been sitting unmaintained for 10 years, any petrol within the tank, lines and injectors may have turned to treacle which makes starting the engine a big fuel system clean out task.

LPG inside the tank doesn’t degrade in the same way but the converter seals/diaphragm can dry out and crack while the converter insides can corrode from the coolant… Tanks also need to be certified each 10 years…

In one sense it may be easier to get the LPG working as it could just be the converter that needs some TLC. But it’s illegal for unlicensed people to work on LPG pressure side of things and the tank would need certification which may require removal and inspection.

christiansservinis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS VY SS
So what do you think is the best idea to do because i dont want to ruin anything. Should i leave the lpg in change the whole fuel system and try and get the car running or would it need more than that. None of the engines are seized and the vx started for a second when we put petrol straight in the throttle body to try and get the car running. Any ideas??

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd look at the petrol side first.

As I said, your fuel system could be gunked up as it sounds. That means the fuel pump won't flow fuel when powered up, which is why it stutters and dies when you squirt fuel into the throttle.. Gunked up fuel pumps can overheat and die if left powered up for tool long as they need fuel flow to keep them cool, especially the pump types that require a return fuel line to the tank.

As such, and depending on your interest, tools and skill level, I'd look at dropping the tank and cleaning the inside of the tank (be prepared to be shocked). Then flush the fuel lines and return line, replace the fuel filter and remove the injectors and clean them or have them cleaned professionally. Do that and it should by all accounts fire up.

Injectors can be cleaner as shown here..

If the injector is really clogged, soak it in isopropyl alcohol as it dissolves some fuel varnishes and then try the 9v battery trick ;)

Then once the engine comes to life, you'd do other maintenance checks like ensuring all tank vent lines are unobstructed, the purge solenoid (if any) is working, vacuum pcv and other lines aren't perished, fuel pressure regulator is working, new oil and oil filter, new spark plugs and leads, new air filter, flush cooling system, flush auto fluid, etc... maybe new coil packs... definitely flush brake fluid and check brakes parts aren't now leaking due to rust... where do you want to stop :p

Then have someone licensed look at the LPG side and get it working/certified unless you don't want to keep it (but it will still cost to legally remove it so why not keep?).

Oh, and then don't leave cars sitting for so long unloved unless you've prepared them for long term storage (which is a big job itself) :rolleyes:

christiansservinis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS VY SS
I am going to try that all on my gq patrol which has also been sitting there for 10 ish years. If everything works on that ill move to the vx and then the vy. we tried putting starter fluid in the throttle body but it didnt work so we put petrol because we knew it was a bad fuel pump. Would there be any damage to the engine because of the petrol we put in. Also do you know how to check if the car is on petrol mode or lpg mode? Thanks