Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG only in a VZ ute?

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
Morning all,

Where I work is looking at getting back into servicing LPG systems again, mainly on forklifts and the like. But this also means that I'll have access to trade price LPG components.

So I was contemplating converting my VZ V6 ute to a liquid LPG injection system. The catch being that the Australian Standards are terrible and after a conversation with the Australian LPG Warehouse it seems that it may only be a pipe dream as you can't purge the gas system for longer than 3seconds without the engine cranking. And I've been informed it'll take 10seconds minimum to run a purge on the system. So this leaves dual-fuel system and I am not particularly interested in that.

So the question part is I was wondering if anyone else is running or had experience with the JTG system? And can you fault it?

poweredbycng

Reaction score
We have a JTG system on a BA Falcon XR6 and other have the same system on XR6 Turbos and even F6s. These systems will make MORE power on LPG than what was possible with petrol and the consumption penalty is about 15%.

It is the best, simplest and most trouble-free LPG system on the market. The design of the system is genius as it doesn't have a dedicated ECU. Instead, it uses an injector controller that simply relays the petrol injection signal from the original ECU to the appropriate set of injectors. The LPG injectors are mechanically 'jetted' to provide the engine with the right amount of fuel given the petrol injection signal. The system has been available in Australia since early 2008 and the after-conversion results have often been spectacular.

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
Are those falcons set up to start on petrol and change over to gas?

I'm wondering if there is a way to get around this one paragraph in AS1425 for an JTG only install
AS1425:2007 said:
3.13 AUTOMATIC FUEL SHUT-OFF DEVICE AT CONTAINER
The automatic fuel shut-off device (container) shall automatically act to prevent the flow of liquid to the service line unless the following conditions are simultaneously satisfied:
(a) The ignition is on.
(b) The engine is turning.
The automatic fuel shut-off device may be permitted to open for a period of up to 3 s when the ignition is first turned on, so as to allow priming of the fuel system. A maximum of three seconds of ‘on period’ is permitted when the engine is stalled as opposed to when the engine is turned off.

Because I'd like to try LPG only, something different.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Yes, the petrol run-in time is 45-60sec after startup. There is no legal way to have a dedicated JTG setup in Australia. There's no advantage to be had by removing the petrol components because the JTG system uses the petrol ECU and all of its electrics to control the fuel metering anyway.

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
I know there's no advantage, but I was going to use the under tray space where the fuel tank is. And I also don't see the point in having two fuel systems installed if I really only want straight LPG. I wanted to play with the JTG system. But as the rules are terribly written, I'll just have to shovel the money I was going to spend on LPG into cams, exhaust, ... and whatever else tickles my fancy now I suppose.

Thanks for the good guff anyway poweredbycng.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
No worries. The laws in Australia are stupid. In Europe (where our Liquid LPG Injection systems come from), you CAN have LPG or CNG circulating through the engine bay with the ignition off, so what they do is wire the system up to start pumping when the driver's door is opened. By the time the driver gets in the car and turns the ignition on, the system is purged and primed, ready to go. The only way you can free up (some) space under your tray is to fit a small petrol tank.