Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG Oxy welding advice.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks guys.

I have a boc account already for my mig. I was going to go supagas but at the time they wouldn't let me due to rona as you have to go into their office to sign up.

I really don't want acc as it's one extra gas I need and is dangerous. I my dad has like 15 9kg LPG bottles for his LPG torches so LPG is easy for me.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm pretty sure I only pay rent per bottle at BOC they don't charge me atm. I think when I go in I pay extra than the commercial renters that actually use heaps of gas.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Then you don't need to do spray welding, just a simple oxy set and suitable filler rod.

My exhaust guy still uses oxy/acetylene on exhausts.

We tried the spray stuff at work for shaft repairs but IIRC it wasn't suitable and durable enough for what we do.

I've seen a video where they V grooved the crack out and spray welded it.
I think there's certain powders for resurfacing and others for filling and welding.

These two videos show the process for filling and welding.

I'm of the understanding that spray welding is a non fusion process like brazing but instead of using a softer metal like bronze it utilizes a iron/nickel powder which is a great deal stronger.
Keith from Turn right machine works on youtube explains how fusion welding is a dud on cast on an episode where he had to grind off and braze build a couple of 1930's hubs.

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I'm pretty sure I only pay rent per bottle at BOC they don't charge me atm. I think when I go in I pay extra than the commercial renters that actually use heaps of gas.
Are you on their D plan? I have my Oxy and Acet bottles on the BOC 'D' plan.
I pay an annual subscription amount per bottle $108 for the Acet and $79 for the Oxy and that entitles me to one free refill per bottle per subscription year. So even if I don't use a full bottle in the 12 month period it is still better for me to swap the 1/2, 1/4 or near empty bottle for the next free refill.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Welding cast requires heat.....More than what LPG can provide.....I had an ear re-welded on a gearbox casing after it was snapped off...

Welding exhaust pipes is best using a mig....So all this spray welding stuff would be pointless if you are doing the occasional stuff at home

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Are you on their D plan? I have my Oxy and Acet bottles on the BOC 'D' plan.
I pay an annual subscription amount per bottle $108 for the Acet and $79 for the Oxy and that entitles me to one free refill per bottle per subscription year. So even if I don't use a full bottle in the 12 month period it is still better for me to swap the 1/2, 1/4 or near empty bottle for the next free refill.

Yea that's what I'm on.
Since I lost my licence I've just kept my mig at my dads house because he has space for it so I haven't used it for 9 months. I get it back soon though so I'll be making a few things.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Forget LPG for welding, the primary flame isn't hot enough. You need Acetylene.

not quite right.. you CAN weld steel with LPG/Oxy mix

I do it with my kit on mild steel with the right filler rod
( I got rid of the original Acetylene as too exxie and now use LPG)
I also do a lot of brazing too (bronze and silver)

and I also have a MIG and MMAW stick for use as well....

oh ....and a welders cert from TAFE

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
40 + years since I did my apprenticeship but we were taught the only fuel gas to use for gas welding was Acetylene because LPG does not provide enough heat in the primary flame. Perhaps equipment tech has changed/improved since then in regards to welding with LPG?

From BOC gases.
Screenshot_2021-05-24 Guidelines-for Gas-Welding-and-Cutting pdf.png