Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG Sticker legalities

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
Does anyone know the trouble you can get in if you remove the red LPG sticker from your plates?

/edit: I got new plates and the RTA didnt supply the new LPG stickers so I ended up getting in touch with Westend LPG (http://www.westendlpg.com.au/index.html) and for a few dollars got some metal LPG tags which I used double sided tape to attach to my plates. Probably best just getting in touch with your local LPG converter if you need new stickers.
Updated this as its the top result on Google for LPG Stickers.

Last edited:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
All LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) installations must comply with the technical requirements of the Australian Standard AS 1425 current at the time of conversion. If the vehicle was converted after 1 February 1993, an approved AS 1425 LPG compliance plate must be fitted to the vehicle at the time of the conversion. Vehicles fitted with LPG systems are required to have an "LP Gas" plate attached to the vehicle number plates, including bike rack number plates.

Thats from VicRoads. You definatly need them on legally. It's the same as the Hybrid stickers for Hybrid vehicles! If you get pulled over without them on and have an LPG tank, expect a big please explain and possibly a canary.

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
The plates must match the details on the vehicle's Certificate of Registration, and must have an appropriate sticker if the vehicle has an LPG or CNG installation
Yeah the RTA (NSW) says this. I was checking if its a slap on the wrist offence or more serious.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Those stickers on the plates make the whole car look 10 times worse imo. One of the few downsides to LPG.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Gotta have them, pop into any gas conversion shop and they'll fit them if you need more. 1 sticker per gas tank installed.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
They're on the vehicle for a really good reason, to let people know your vehicle could be really dangerous!

The Hybrid stickers came into effect when the SES, CFA and MFB complained about responding to hybrid accidents and not knowing the vehicle was a hybrid. Theres a different process they have to follow for LPG and Hybrid vehicles.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
someone on the forum mentioned a possible $20,000 fine. It is very important for the fact that if you are in a car accident and the fire crews need to pull apart/move/lift your car...they need to know that your car has got a LPG tank in it...could be very dangerous otherwise

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
Looks like the stickers are staying. Was copping heaps from the mates but will have to endure.

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
my car was on gas and even though the stickers look crap, i left them on because you will notice less police attention with them on.

you will probably get in the **** for having them on when u dont have gas the fireies will do the procedure required on a gas car if u were to be in an accident when they could get u out a hell of a lot faster the proper way