Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG stuff

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Nope

Cheaper than Vapour injection to install

injectors are tapped into the existing manifold (so the company tells me)

When you offset the price of additional injectors and labour to install them you are gaining large power increases, and incredible economy. ****, even if it did cost $4000 to install, $2000 off for the govt's incentive, and you've just gained a lot including an injected car which produces bugger all polution.

each to his own I guess

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I thought the 2 grand govt thing was for new lpg installations that come with the tank. Unless you can tell me otherwise.

The tapped threads in the manifold sounds not bad. Sounds like it might not take up the room an Impco would.

I get about 1 3rd more power when I switch to petrol from gas. If someone could gaurantee that I would get the same power with the injectors, I might consider it, but I am a bit skeptical. It's good to see new sorts of things like this coming out. Thanks for the link.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
gentlemen (and any ladies that might be lurking in our midst),

some more technical stuff for those interested, if this kicks off, I'll be considering going VN 5L or bigger and trying to get some of that $2000 outta the government to fund it...
http://www.gas-injection.com/lpg-gas-injection-technologies.html

heres some more,
http://www.parnell.com.au/

the mindset away from the stereotypical stinking taxi that is always associated with LPG may yet happen, enjoy.

Bradcad,
thanks for posting, I found it most interesting, I hope some of this stuff gets off the ground and becomes commercially viable. Considerins how much govt money gets chucked at utter crap, it would be good to see some home grown technology get backing and support to get off the ground in Australia.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
That's it champ. Tooo many aussie inventions get lost. He told me funding is now there, so he's looking at a viable system for $2500 to $3000 (obviously on existing injected) in 6 months. I dont give a **** if I've still got the holden then- she's coppin gas as soon as these come out, then the timing is getting advanced a hell of a lot.:D

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
another question,
does the converter "prime" ie send a charge of gas through the ducting into the mixer on startup? I'm specifically talking about the Impco 300A, Ive had 2 and neither have primed, I used to run petrol for the last few minutes of each journey then flick it to gas after giving the throttle a few pumps to squirt some of the petrol thats still in the bowl into the manifold just before I fire it up again, she'd fire first pop ALWAYS no matter how cold a morning.
this wont be an option for me if i go straight gas so something that primes would be a winner for me.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Heh. It's funny that you and I have an identical barge. :) As talked about before. :) If you had the same rims on your car as mine, you wouldn't know the difference. :D

Anyway, back to the gas. When you start, the gas goes down the line at fast speed and into the converter (some turkeys call them regulators, suit yourself :)) and then it's all go. As far as I know, there is no priming involved. If I don't start my car for say a few hours, it takes a few seconds of cranking compared to starting it up after maybe half an hour after stopping. It would surely be due to evaporation and other crap. As the gas is liquid along the way until it hits the converter, it must dissipate some what. The converter I have like most out there has a priming button. If you have a damn hard time starting, pressing on the priming button when cranking can get it going but it's damn hard. It's stiff as a rock. Oh, and if you press the priming button when the barge is running, it will conk because it is flodding it. It's sort of like trying to act as the gas mixer by changing the flow of gas yourself.

It is a good idea to run petrol every now and then. For me it means rocket power, but it also means the engine suddenly likes to drink all the petrol too. Petrol doesn't go too far with my barge.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I should have said that my car probably needs a bit more cranking after a few hours because the engine would be cold. It likely has nothing to do with the gas.

Cane_It, does your LPG tank have an output solenoid on the tank where the line goes to your engine bay? They are a must these days and illegal without it.

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
the converter/regulator that i had in the VC had the primer button, but it was worked on a solonoid thru the change-over switch inside the car. Also you may have noticed that the regulator is connected into the heater system. This is because the gas itself needs to be heated before it will ignite properly. Hence the reason it is best to start on petrol then change to LPG when the motor is warm/warming up. As for the primer button flooding the engine this is very tru because it by passes the regulator and gives a burst of "concentrated" LPG thru to the mixer.

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
Cane_It said:
another question,
does the converter "prime" ie send a charge of gas through the ducting into the mixer on startup? I'm specifically talking about the Impco 300A, Ive had 2 and neither have primed, I used to run petrol for the last few minutes of each journey then flick it to gas after giving the throttle a few pumps to squirt some of the petrol thats still in the bowl into the manifold just before I fire it up again, she'd fire first pop ALWAYS no matter how cold a morning.
this wont be an option for me if i go straight gas so something that primes would be a winner for me.

if u go dedicated LPG the system will have to prime, simple as that. When running on petrol u have the choke which has the same effect, it would be a bugger of a thing to start under any situation without a primer/choke system.