Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS cubes... torque V hp

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
interesting with only a change in cubes 6.6 down to 6.0, kept same block, cam, heads, exhaust, intake, boost, rpm, only the stroke was changed and made the same hp up top just lost a little torque in the low end, so then a question could be is the torque even worth it as its already too much for traction so ur not using it anyway, but i have to say i thought it would be more of a difference changing the stroke especially with a boosted engine

Reactions: Lex

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
so then a question could be is the torque even worth it as its already too much for traction
Yes, mainly because most cars don't push out 1000kw. In this case it's the same reason why F1 cars (and other circuit cars) run at a constant 10,000+ rpm.

The simple version of HP is just torque over speed, so it's not super surprising as the shorter stroke allows the engine to rev higher. You'd need to get the dyno sheets to really work out the pros and cons for whatever application you were doing it for though.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea this one is same rpm almost same hp, u would think that the more cubes will be drawing in more airflow but maby the camshaft is just suited to the shorter stroke and was limiting the open time for the longer stroke

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
It may be simply that the turbos fitted match to 6.0 better

I did note they said they were not tracking the turbo speed

Lots of unknowns

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
With a blown engine the power adder makes the power/torque.

It does sound like the old combo wasn't quiet on point.

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
them also saying that they used the same tune also except the small tweak for the lower torque loss just shows if its using the same fuel its making the same power, its actually the same thing im wanting to do with my build as i kept 6L cubes as i have enough torque down low so im trying to put more up top for fun at the track

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There's something about longer stroke that is not a good for reliable power if pushingthe engineto the limit. I know with my experience on bike racing that my longer stroke RD 400 can't reliably make as much power as the RD 350 due to the extra stroke causing extra friction and heat. With the shorter stroke I think the 350 will rev out to 11k where mine max's out at 10k.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That thing was making too much power that they were constantly taking power out of it to keep it on ground & get it down track & by time they could ramp it all in was probably last 100mtrs if on a good track & by then torque was trailing off rpm wise.

They're just taking torque out of it where they don't need it & moving further it up the rev range where more chance to use it for potentially quicker times although sounds like they were surprised by it's efficiency when it made almost same figures.

For much lower powered street car cubes/torque is the go so we can use it more instantly

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
That thing was making too much power that they were constantly taking power out of it to keep it on ground & get it down track & by time they could ramp it all in was probably last 100mtrs if on a good track & by then torque was trailing off rpm wise.

They're just taking torque out of it where they don't need it & moving further it up the rev range where more chance to use it for potentially quicker times although sounds like they were surprised by it's efficiency when it made almost same figures.

For much lower powered street car cubes/torque is the go so we can use it more instantly
With only 380kwatw I have to much torque at 2500rpm with a blown LS1.......LOL.......first world problems

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
380kw is not that much, but you mentioned torque the other and that was pretty crazy IIRC.