Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS Exhaust Comparison Gold! HSV Headers vs Aftermarket Tri-Y's & 4-1's. What would you choose?

If your objective is useable torque and power for the street. Which system would you choose and why?

• HSV 340 Headers (2 1/2" outlet) with Standard HSV 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • HSV 340 Headers (2 1/2" outlet) with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • HSV 340 Headers (2 1/2" outlet) with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 'Tri-Y' Headers with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 'Tri-Y' Headers with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Aftermarket 1 7/8 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Aftermarket 1 7/8 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Well this is GOLD! Answers MANY questions about HSV and aftermarket Tri-Y vs 4-1 headers, header primary tube sizes and 2.5" or 3" exhaust cat-back systems for the LS3, by pitting them against each other back-to-back on a dyno for an objective comparison.
An oldie but a goodie it seems. Well done to OzGarage for putting in the effort.

http://www.ozgarage.com.au/season2-video/season-2-episode-9-online-exhaust-comparo

If your objective is usable torque and power for the street, then based on the OzGarage comparison, which system combo would you choose and why?

Last edited:

bigdealbaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
On my car I went the Tri Y, metal cats and 2.5 cat back as I got the tri Y's at a good price off the old gumtree and built the system off the back of them really.

After watching this video and in hindsight the 1 7/8" setup would be nice for that extra little bit but for the extra costs associated for myself I couldn't justify it.

Here is a link to another video I have seen relating to exhausts where the blokes at mtod dint up some headers and dyno before and after to check for power loss, throws up some interesting questions regarding mandrel bent vs press and if it's everything it's cracked up to be. (No doubt that will ruffle some feathers.)

Thanks for posting the exhaust comparison though, it was really interesting.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I got the last option simply because I thought it to be the best option for a soon to be supercharged and cammed motor , but with no real knowledge , then I saw someone's syg refering to a cork up his arse and his ability to fart , or some thing like that , so that cemented it for me .
I also wanted the bimodal without stuffing around with the factory mufflers because I live in a complex and get up early , so went for the X-Force option

Last edited:

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
I got the last option simply because I thought it to be the best option for a soon to be supercharged and cammed motor , but with no real knowledge , then I saw someone's syg refering to a cork up his arse and his ability to fart , or some thing like that , so that cemented it for me .
I also wanted the bimodal without stuffing around with the factory mufflers because I live in a complex and get up early , so went for the X-Force option

Can you share a sound video kleanphil?

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
I had the first option on my series 1 wagon.

Have the second to last on my series 2 wagon. DPE system, but merges from 3 inch to 2.5 inch at the centre.

My current system shits all over the 340 HSV system I had in my series 1 wagon.
Both in performance and sound.
Yes the LS3 is a bigger engine than the L76 so comparison on performance is probably invalid.
But the sound difference is chalk and cheese.

If had my time again in my series 1 wagon, I would go straight to what I have now in my series 2. No question.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I had the first option on my series 1 wagon.

Have the second to last on my series 2 wagon. DPE system, but merges from 3 inch to 2.5 inch at the centre.

My current system shits all over the 340 HSV system I had in my series 1 wagon.
Both in performance and sound.
Yes the LS3 is a bigger engine than the L76 so comparison on performance is probably invalid.
But the sound difference is chalk and cheese.

If had my time again in my series 1 wagon, I would go straight to what I have now in my series 2. No question.
I would agree. But cost has to be a factor for some. The HSV setup has always been a good low cost option which won't cause any warranty issues. Looks OEM and doesn't require a tune. That's why they're gold. Not because they're the best out there.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Thats what Im thinking, HSV till I decide whether to do more and how much.

Also gives me time to work out what id prefer with an aftermarket or custom setup:

such as 180° degree headers or 4 into 1, 2.5 or 3 inch, X or H pipe and whether to keep bimodal option depending on other upgrades.

hardest thing is finding a HSV 340 maloo system in SA.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats what Im thinking, HSV till I decide whether to do more and how much.

Also gives me time to work out what id prefer with an aftermarket or custom setup:

such as 180° degree headers or 4 into 1, 2.5 or 3 inch, X or H pipe and whether to keep bimodal option depending on other upgrades.

hardest thing is finding a HSV 340 maloo system in SA.
The 325 headers are fine if you can't locate 340 ones. In fact probably better down low.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I can find HSV 325kw on ebay in VIC but they want $450+shipping.:mad:

Or I can drive to melbourne and get the full system for $500 but then have to see my rellies.:eek:

I keep looking for a bit.o_O

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I can find HSV 325kw on ebay in VIC but they want $450+shipping.:mad:

Or I can drive to melbourne and get the full system for $500 but then have to see my rellies.:eek:

I keep looking for a bit.o_O
Haha. It's a no brainer. Save fiddy bucks and no awkward rellie encounters!
Mate that's a rip. I paid about $250 for my first one (headers cats and mid section) and $450 for the second off a 2016 or 17 SV Black Ed (can't recall). The $450 one was complete, headers to dual tips and still had unburnished stickers from the factory.
My advice is if warranty matters to you, go HSV. Otherwise go aftermarket and chuck in a CAI and tune too. It'll make you smile :):D;)