Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS Exhaust Comparison Gold! HSV Headers vs Aftermarket Tri-Y's & 4-1's. What would you choose?

If your objective is useable torque and power for the street. Which system would you choose and why?

• HSV 340 Headers (2 1/2" outlet) with Standard HSV 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • HSV 340 Headers (2 1/2" outlet) with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • HSV 340 Headers (2 1/2" outlet) with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 'Tri-Y' Headers with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 'Tri-Y' Headers with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Aftermarket 1 7/8 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Aftermarket 1 7/8 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I went with Magnaflow metal cats. They seem fine.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
That’s a good question about cats. Apart from marketing hype and assumptions about pricing, how DO you determine a good quality build and performing catalytic converter, over a rubbish one?

I’d be going 200 or 300 cell cats and length of warranty term would be my best guess on quality without having the opportunity to inspect them. Exhaust and tuner shops will recommend the products they have supply relationships with so their advice is likely biased toward their profit over your satisfaction.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
There is an exhaust shop in Clontarf Qld that advertises on eBay every now and again,he is one of the cheapest and they look good,he does them to bolt up to HSV headers in 100 or 200 cel and also exit end he does them with the very restrictive cone flange or flat flange
The exhaust I tried was std I liked it with fuse pulled,then HSV headers std cats std back not as good a sound,then HSV mid to std cans loud but not a nice mature sound bit tinny at dawdle but WOT sounded real goodthen removed it all and went hurricane
headers 1 3/4 the rest it manta 2 1/2 medium,now that’s a nice note I was looking for.My recommendation is if you want it to look factory don’t change it,if you want it to look close get a set of HSV headers with aftermarket cats HSV mid std cans,if you want good sound go aftermarket exhaust with tune you can’t go wrong,I’m always fiddling with exhaust and one thing I’d like to try is aftermarket exhaust with std cans but can’t find any to experiment with and write up results.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
There is an exhaust shop in Clontarf Qld that advertises on eBay every now and again,he is one of the cheapest and they look good,he does them to bolt up to HSV headers in 100 or 200 cel and also exit end he does them with the very restrictive cone flange or flat flange
The exhaust I tried was std I liked it with fuse pulled,then HSV headers std cats std back not as good a sound,then HSV mid to std cans loud but not a nice mature sound bit tinny at dawdle but WOT sounded real goodthen removed it all and went hurricane
headers 1 3/4 the rest it manta 2 1/2 medium,now that’s a nice note I was looking for.My recommendation is if you want it to look factory don’t change it,if you want it to look close get a set of HSV headers with aftermarket cats HSV mid std cans,if you want good sound go aftermarket exhaust with tune you can’t go wrong,I’m always fiddling with exhaust and one thing I’d like to try is aftermarket exhaust with std cans but can’t find any to experiment with and write up results.

What’s it sound like LS1SS? Got a video you can post?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
That’s a good question about cats. Apart from marketing hype and assumptions about pricing, how DO you determine a good quality build and performing catalytic converter, over a rubbish one?

I’d be going 200 or 300 cell cats and length of warranty term would be my best guess on quality without having the opportunity to inspect them. Exhaust and tuner shops will recommend the products they have supply relationships with so their advice is likely biased toward their profit over your satisfaction.
The main thing is metal, not ceramic. Also size. Bigger entry and exit. Bigger cats sound better, deeper, less tinny.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore

thanks mate for your time taken to explain info on and fitment and procedure of fitting hsv extractors in this thread
all very helpful info for others and me about to fit extractors at home

cheers mate

Rikster71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Just wondering, does anyone know what the difference in the bi-modal mufflers are between a VFII Redline and a VF HSV GTS are, just wondering if i buy just a centre pipe and use my cans, or if the HSV Cans would be better again.

Rikster71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline

Just called him, apparently they are only for VE and he has been told they wont work with VF???????

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just called him, apparently they are only for VE and he has been told they wont work with VF???????

They will fit the VF, but you'll need to weld a bung in the exhaust mid section for the rear oxy sensor.
There isn't enough room in the aftermarket cat for the rear oxy sensor.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just wondering, does anyone know what the difference in the bi-modal mufflers are between a VFII Redline and a VF HSV GTS are, just wondering if i buy just a centre pipe and use my cans, or if the HSV Cans would be better again.
The HSV cans were louder when I had them on my Redline. But, they don't fit well. One of the tips has a dogleg in it to suit the fake HSV tips that are built into the rear bumper / valance. Better to stick with the Holden rears.