Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS Roller Rocker install vs Trunnion Upgrade fail

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
yea they have there style bearings and the CHE style, yep damn shorter pushrod !!! been waiting months for them rockers to come in as all thats left on my engine is to get rockers so i can work out pushrod length then its done

Why not go shaft mounts? Pedestals are crap.
Any engine I have anything to do with in the future is getting T&D or Jesel one piece bar mounted shaft rockers.
Also MBE heads which arent perfect either but better than most. Or I'll just get BES to build the ******* thing.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Why not go shaft mounts? Pedestals are crap.
Any engine I have anything to do with in the future is getting T&D or Jesel one piece bar mounted shaft rockers.
Also MBE heads which arent perfect either but better than most. Or I'll just get BES to build the ******* thing.
i wanted a roller with a light tip and the TSP are about the closest to stock weight, i like the jessel but they arnt cheap and i may have had to machine the heads for them to fit, if i was thinking 8k rpm or over id go Jessel or the like, or the full BTR LS shaft mount with the TSP LS roller would be a good combo

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
check the wear patch on the rocker tips with the wearing bush as they are prob offside wear pattern causing the bush to be pushed to one side under load/repetition, stock rockers arnt perfectly flat, ive been running another bush in mine without issues and am changing to the new CHE bush in my new rockers
Just wondering if you ended up changing your trunnion bushes with a che set?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Just wondering if you ended up changing your trunnion bushes with a che set?
originally i got a bush set for my stock rockers which was good, was going to get the CHE set with the TSP rockers but after waiting 8 months for nothing i upgraded to the Jesel set

Davomac7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Thought I'd share my experience with my LS rocker upgrade and why the CHE trunnion upgrade failed.

Fitted a new cam and CHE trunnion upgrade in my LS 6L and after 300kms found fine bronze glitter in my oil. Very dissapointing after doing so much research on the best trunnion upgrade, also spending much time to clean inspect and fit everything correctly with smooth face of circlip on the bush. The issue was the 90 degree sharp edge on the circlip (where the pliers go in) was scraping the side of the bush, this edge is quite sharp on both sides of the circlip - so beware. Pulled them out and found half the circlips affected.

Decided to look for roller rockers and chose the Yella Terra ultralite pro's. Had them on for 4 months now and so far they've been rock solid, glitter and particles gone in oil changes. If you use trunnion kit upgrade be sure to check your oil carefully or in the sunlight when it's dumped.

If you go for Yella Terra rollers I had to relieve the head with a die grinder on the inlet side to make them clear, also fit a 10mm rocker cover gasket so they don't tap the underside of the rocker cover. Before grinding anything make sure you tape everything in the head many times over and stuff rags into any holes to prevent grit falling into the engine, this took more time than actually grinding the heads. Degrease everything where tape will need to be applied and use a sticky high quality tape. I used TRex plumbers tape from bunnings, it's fibreglass and really strong.

Here are a few pics of the install and final job. Magnify pics and check the wear on the CHE's around the circlip ends.
I am curious when you said you fitted a new cam did you also fit new lifters and when you fitted the trunnion up grade did did you put each rocker back in its original position which would be vital to match them back with it's original valve .
I was also thinking to do the same CHE trunnion upgrade so am very interested if other things may have contributed to your problem

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
The most common circlip is stamped steel. It's also the most widely abused.

During the manufacturing process, a chamfer is created on one side of the circlip and a square, sharp side on the other. Whenever the clip is installed, the sharp edge must face away from the direction of thrust. The sharp edge can be easily felt with your finger, so there are no excuses for not getting it right.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/circlip-science/

If your circlips are the wrong way around they will chew on the trunnions

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
I am curious when you said you fitted a new cam did you also fit new lifters and when you fitted the trunnion up grade did did you put each rocker back in its original position which would be vital to match them back with it's original valve .
I was also thinking to do the same CHE trunnion upgrade so am very interested if other things may have contributed to your problem
Rockers were numbered and matched to original valves with smooth side of the circlip to the bush. Fitted a new vcm11 cam, gm LS7 lifters, trend push rods. Could've been a number of things that caused the issue, rockers not true from removing the original bearings, valve tip wear etc. Either way I wasn't prepared to find out and stuff about with another set so spent the money on roller rockers. If you go for bushes I'd recommend checking the smooth edge on each circlip cause on my set they were far from perfect out of the box.

With the CHE's I didn't like the cross sectional thickness of the bush it's really thin, like a few mm at most. It's supposed to be better cause it increases the wear surface area on the trunnion, in my opinion they'll just wear out faster. The che has pros like the oiling design which looked better than other bushed kits but still can't be compared to a roller bearing. If you have a huge cam you might consider bushes, so go for it, they're not for me though.

Since fitting roller rockers I've done 2 oil changes and not seen any debris in the oil pan after dropping it, wear pattern on the valve tips are perfect too. Couldn't be happier.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My CHE trunnion kit after 10k km is running fine with stock rockers, PAC double springs, LS7 lifters running on a little 223 228 114 cam

Nil by glitter in oil

Where did you get them, there's alot of counterfeit parts out there, they even have the same packaging

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
My CHE trunnion kit after 10k km is running fine with stock rockers, PAC double springs, LS7 lifters running on a little 223 228 114 cam

Nil by glitter in oil

Where did you get them, there's alot of counterfeit parts out there, they even have the same packaging
Got them from rams head service in windsor nsw. The kit looked genuine, rams are a decent company. Could've had a dud set, or something wasn't true, not sure, either way circlip surfaces were disappointing. Need to get lots of miles out of this setup and couldn't see CHE's doing another 40k. Happy with my rollers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I bought my bush kit from Michigan Motorsports. I don't remember the brand as such. Be interesting to see if I have any glitter in the oil this weekend.