Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS to Vl Conversion

Aaron Alexiou

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore Executive
Hi Guys,
New Member here

I have a Vl commodore shell and a ve maloo (write off)
Im after any info or Recommendations in regards to fitting as
much of the doner car on to the vl as possible.
brakes, suspension, engine, gearbox
i am a motorcyle mechanic by trade and have some idea
and enough experence to not fly in guns blazing

Kind regards
Aaron

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Don't waste your time with the suspension, they have totally different front and rear setups and the VE is significantly wider, longer, and heavier. You're better off trying to buy decent VL stuff. Off the shelf conversion kits exist for LS into just about any car you can think of, have a look at Castlemaine Rod Shop, Tuff mounts, I believe Pacemaker also does some mounts so you can use their conversion headers. Realistically getting it the car isn't the hard part really, it's the wiring and electronics.

Likewise there are off the shelf kits to get the brakes to work, I believe at this point you don't even need to swap the boosters to use the calipers.

Last edited:

Aaron Alexiou

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore Executive
I called Castlemaine rod shop today and got a brief Rundown of exactly what I need

I would love to use the ve hSV
Discs and calipers but I can’t see it being a straightforward exercise

So far this is what I’m thinking

CRS Mounting kit
Vs kframe and rack ( i’m told this allows more clearance for the extractors or custom tubular frame
VT brake upgrade kit
Not sure what suspension will suit all the above
I was going to look at doing the loom myself. Along with ECU re-program

Yeah.. a lot to think about

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Vl V8 through to VS V8 use the same cross member and rack

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
VE brake kits exist, you already own the calipers. Even with a VT kit you need custom discs. Suspension shouldn't be a problem, the LS is lighter than any of the engines that came in the VL, companies are slowly starting to make some coilovers that you can choose spring rates for.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
VE brake kits exist, you already own the calipers. Even with a VT kit you need custom discs. Suspension shouldn't be a problem, the LS is lighter than any of the engines that came in the VL, companies are slowly starting to make some coilovers that you can choose spring rates for.

Custom discs for a VT conversion????? Got me lost...I've got the VT front conversion and every part of the conversion is off the shelf....The same applies with the VE conversion....All available off the shelf

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Custom discs for a VT conversion????? Got me lost...I've got the VT front conversion and every part of the conversion is off the shelf....The same applies with the VE conversion....All available off the shelf

I think you're right, I must be thinking of rotors that are made up to not need to use the spacer rings. Dunno why that slipped into my head.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think you're right, I must be thinking of rotors that are made up to not need to use the spacer rings. Dunno why that slipped into my head.

The VT conversion you use a seperate hub adaptor, which the rotor slides over....The standard hub has the rotor as part of it...

Easy to get mixed up though....:)