Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 + 4L60E Stand alone wiring harness...

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
So, as the thread title suggests, I'm looking into making a wiring harness - (modify'ing the standard loom).

What I'm not sure on is, is it as simple as running a wire from a set pin on the computer plug, to a sensor, then repeat 1000 times, etc..

If so, are the pin outs the same for the ECU in America as they are here? I assumed they were all the same, but have been told that there a some small differences in the two.

Does anyone have a diagram of the VZ LS1, fly by wire, ECU plug, and a list of sensors/inputs it needs?

Can you delete the BCM entirely? I understand I'll probably need a tune to disable VATS as well.

Plans are to run the computer inside the cab, under the dash, so the wiring will need to be lengthened, whilst that's being done, remove any unneeded wiring etc..

Not sure if this should be in the wiring section, or the LSx section because it directly relates to them. Sorry if its in the wrong section!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Umm, it might be of some use, it'd be better than what I have already, (stuff from o/s).

The fly by wire would be something I'd have to look into a bit further, but I'd assume the main engine accessories should be the same, if not very similar?

That'd be a great help if I could grab them off you, cheers Julian!

kcuf

Reaction score
Members Ride
351 KC Centura
i just finished drawing up/writing out a pinout for the VZ loom if you want a copy of that let me know, couldnt find any info that was VZ specific so i just buzzed it all out and wrote it down.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah for sure man, any extra info is gladly appreciated, that way I can compare the two to see if there are any differences between them, didn't happen to get the "Fly By Wire" part did you? :p

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Here is a diagram I gave to a mate of mine to wire up my mates track car. It's in a R31 Skyline so speedo and tacho weren't connected. Basically got it running and made sure it started. Only issue he had with the VZ motor was the alternator. It has a different plug not a normal single power wire running to it. We just used an earlier alternator (VT-VY) to make it easier. We also changed it to cable throttle and used a VT loom. He now has a Monster tacho and aftermarket speedo working now.

Here ya go.

Click to make it bigger.

kcuf

Reaction score
Members Ride
351 KC Centura
Yeah for sure man, any extra info is gladly appreciated, that way I can compare the two to see if there are any differences between them, didn't happen to get the "Fly By Wire" part did you? :p

this is what i've got so far

2005%20VZ%20SS%20loom%20plug.JPG

pinouts.JPG

also this plug
enginebayplug.JPG

the wires in this plug are

- Black/White (Earth)
- Light Green (Injector 1, passenger bank) 12v fused
- Dark Green (A/C plug) depends on your air con if you need this
- Red (Injector 2, Drivers side bank) 12v fused
- Orange (Pin 6 on TAC module (16 pin plug) 12v fused???
- Orange/Black (PCM 42 Blue)
- Brown (PCM 65 Green)
- Pink/Blue (Large round plug on Auto Trans) ?? 12v fused???

i still need to finish figuring out what exactly needs 12v ign and 12v constant, etc,

as far as the fly by wire part, as long as you salvaged the loom from pedal to the TAC module, there are not many other wires that go to the module externally, something i still need to finish looking up

kcuf

Reaction score
Members Ride
351 KC Centura
It has a different plug not a normal single power wire running to it. We just used an earlier alternator (VT-VY) to make it easier.
so whats the deal with the alternator? the ALT i used in my last conversion was a 2 wire also, but it had a different plug, i just ran a resistor in line and its been working fine, and i dont think i connected both wires, i better check. the VZ has a diff plug and it goes up into the engine loom.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Yeah it has a different plug. We ran a VT loom (for cable throttle) so we had to change the alternator as it was going run like a VT with a VZ engine. If we ran the VZ loom and kept the fly-by wire throttle then we probably would of gone with the VZ alternator.