Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 astra wtf

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
haha thats right
how funny would it be to see tho.
just see the astra drive past but with the sound of a V8

Only problem is it would sound about the same as the stock Astra motor :D

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Excellent, we should foward this to the HSV design team ASAP.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Astra is 1300-1400kg from memory, still a good 2-300kg lighter than a Commodore though, so yes, big win :)

Oh for sure, they'd both be fun. The MX5 would handle better and weighs about 300kg less though ;)

Your idea of what makes a good car sounds ridiculous... :p

What I mean is that its an astra its a little car that mostly is used to drive around in the city not really a car for a big old V8

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Why? Because it's not a stock item? Bigger capacity engines in smaller, lighter cars ='s win. If you are after power, why would you want a 6 litre in a heavy car instead of a light car?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Nothing wrong with Astra's anyway, if it was a race between a 2.2L or Astra Turbo and any V6 Commodore, my money would be on the Astra.

Reckon nemesis_adrasteia has just never driven one.

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
hold up guys, i can see two sides to this. that torana concept would be a great car, slap an alloytec 195 and 6spd in it, and with the low first ratio of the 6spd you'd have a fairly quick car. even no real need for a 8cyl. its what a large majority of people want now, good sized medium car, big on power, low on fuel consumption and cheap on parts (because after all, that concept was mainly based on commodore stuff) i know thats why i love my 5litre commodores, walk into repco wearing my work shirt, and leave there with a brand new water pump and gasket for under $40 in a good gmb brand.

ok, someone said forward this straight to hsv design team. sorry to critisize mate, but who would buy one exactly? if they were to do that to the current ah astra coupe, and charge say 60k for it (possibly more, i mean they're going to have to engineer and compliance a car which was made for fwd to rwd, and 4cyl to 8cyl etc etc etc. i seriously doubt whoever said that would run out and buy one. also, if i paid 60k for a car, i don't wanna sit in a tinny little shitbox with no space. yes, the idea of it going faster than a commodore with the same engine is true, and looks good on paper. but you don't seriously expect someone to say, screw my maloo ute, i'm buying a v8 astra. i can no longer tow my boat, or really fit in it properly. and when trucks pass me on the highway and blow wind up me i almost run off the road, but hell it'll be fun getting rapped around a pole sideways and being squashed in a car that has no space.

hence torana, a small car but big on space and style (those looks based kinda of the ve with that concept car were **** hot). most people with north of 60k to spend don't want they're car to resemble a car which is sold with a 4cyl at the local dealership for 19k brand new. and marketed as a fuel miser.

i myself have a yamaha r1 sportsbike, and i reckon they're the greatest thing for going fast on a budget, almost no cars in the local district can keep up with me. but i cannot harness the full power it has, it is far to dangerous, and the roads locally aren't anywhere good enough. an astra with a v8 is the same thing. the wind picks them up, like any small cars with no weight, and quite frankly i wouldn't be willing to drive one over 200km/h. a ve commodore however, i'd be quite happy to do so, and have done. being only 50kg, when riding my r1, i get thrown about quite a bit, and front wheel comes up quite easily under acceleration, this is what i'm talking about.

i bought a rear window reg for a ts astra last week, just on 400 trade price, over 600 retail. same thing for a commodore is like under 200 easily, is that not why we love our commodores? reliability (much better than an astra) cheap parts which are almost always on the shelf, etc etc

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
danja, any v6 commodore???? any at all.

i'll take a ve sv6 manual ute, with its low low low first, and you can grab mum's astra convertible with the 2.2l direct injected 4cyl vectra motor. hope you like the back of ve ute's :)

also, that said, you don't think thats an unfair comparision? i mean commodores are built with the idea to travel 500,000+ trouble free km's doing the family duties, they are intended as performance cars! however an astra turbo is kinda marketed as a performance hot hatch, and doesn't need to withstand the beatings v6's commodore's take every day, like towing caravans and car trailers and ****?

i hate v6 commodore comparsions like this, ffs your astra you mentioned is prob 400kg lighter, will be geared a **** load lower, can't tow squat, or do anything like a commodore can under load etc etc, the list goes on. i remember my sister's first car, and ah astra hatch, 1.8l manual. if you went up a certain hill on the way home with the aircon on, on full throttle in either 4th or 5th it couldn't hold 100km/h, lol. i can come up the same hill in 6th in my old alloytec ute at 160+

horses for courses guys..... don't compare apples with oranges.

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
also danja, you did say any v6 commodore, so a vx xu-6 with a s/c6 is not out of bounds? at least that would be a fairer comparision. still not the best though, the turbo astra has a few advantages.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Bottom line:

LS2 in an Astra ='s win IMO :yeah: :D