Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 astra wtf

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
also danja, you did say any v6 commodore, so a vx xu-6 with a s/c6 is not out of bounds? at least that would be a fairer comparision. still not the best though, the turbo astra has a few advantages.

I rather meant N/A 6's, but the turbo vs. a stock s/c would probably be fair, and I think I'd still pick the Astra to win.

As for towing, I used to tow a 500kg trailer in my 1985 1.6L Corolla, with it's whopping 52kW of 4-banger power, it still got there fine, doing the speed limit on the freeway. I'm not going to say the engine wasn't trying pretty hard, but all this "4-cyls can't tow" nonsense is just that, nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, I like a nice V8 (hell, I own one), but I'm not that tribal that I can't tip my hat to some who's done something impressive to a different car. In my mind a RWD, V8 powered hot hatch sounds like it would be an unbelievably fun car to drive, and people dismissing the idea "because it's an Astra" just goes to show how close minded and camp some people are.

As for the HSV thing, I think you need to learn how to take a joke, I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting this would be a commercially successful production vehicle, but the guy who made it obviously built it to his own liking, so it's a fine vehicle in it's own right.

PS. There is already an HSV Astra :)

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
i was simply saying who would buy a hsv v8 astra over what else is on the market for the 60k or so it would have to be with all the necessary devlopment and stuff. i know about hsv astra's, probably more than you would about them actually. my family has 2 after all, my sister has a vxr which i reckon for under 40k new poses good value, considering it would probably go as hard as a gen3 astra. the other hsv astra is in dads collection of older stuff, with his walkinshaw and monaro's and torana's and stuff. he has a hsv astra from 1989 i think it was, the first ever hsv astra.

who knows, with the current rules on pedestrian impacts and crash testing, and how far the v8 engine would need to be in the car itself (where the firewall has been cut and rewelded around, and how close the engine is to the front for a impact it may never be possible to engineer that car to be built and driven on australian roads.

also, i'm more comparing how much they can tow mate. i'm doing an unfair comparasion as you are. my father once towed a tandem trailer with just under 5 tonne's of scrap steel on it, plus the 1.2 tonne trailer itself. just over 6 tonne's behind a v6 vp calais. tell me any small car that could do that. also it was on a 20km trip. not just to move it 200m. lol, i remember he couldn't do over 70 or the front end lifted.

also, i know you meant n/a 6's. and i expressed how rediculous of a comparision that is. remember most duties a v6 commodore will see it taking the kids to school or going on a long trip. however i still don't beleive a super 6 is a 100% fair comparision. the super 6 design was dated when it was first brought in back in 1996 lol. and it uses and unefficent blower on a pushrod engine in a much heavier car than the astra and limited to only an automatic transmission

either way, my main point was how rediculous your comparision was, which anyone with half a brain would have figured out anyway

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
i know about hsv astra's, probably more than you would about them actually. my family has 2 after all, my sister has a vxr which i reckon for under 40k new poses good value, considering it would probably go as hard as a gen3 astra. the other hsv astra is in dads collection of older stuff, with his walkinshaw and monaro's and torana's and stuff. he has a hsv astra from 1989 i think it was, the first ever hsv astra.

law of the internet - pics or it didn't happen. I'd like to see some proof of these cars you talk about.

personally i'd love a v8 astra. It'd be completely impractical BUT you'd get a lot of people wondering at the traffic lights..

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Hahahaha, yeah, pics or ban!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
i was simply saying who would buy a hsv v8 astra over what else is on the market for the 60k or so it would have to be with all the necessary devlopment and stuff.

who knows, with the current rules on pedestrian impacts and crash testing, and how far the v8 engine would need to be in the car itself (where the firewall has been cut and rewelded around, and how close the engine is to the front for a impact it may never be possible to engineer that car to be built and driven on australian roads.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, because you probably aren't. I am going to say though, that what you're talking about isn't really what we're talking about.

Purely as a car to drive, looks awesome to me (and to a few others I gather :)). If you start talking about it being a production car, then costs, road worthiness, etc all come into it. Not really what we were commenting on.

also, i'm more comparing how much they can tow mate. i'm doing an unfair comparasion as you are. my father once towed a tandem trailer with just under 5 tonne's of scrap steel on it, plus the 1.2 tonne trailer itself. just over 6 tonne's behind a v6 vp calais. tell me any small car that could do that. also it was on a 20km trip. not just to move it 200m. lol, i remember he couldn't do over 70 or the front end lifted.

It's not the size of the car that determines it's towing ability, it's what's under the hood (and aspects of the chassis, but again not size per se). A LS1 Astra should be able to tow just as much as an LS1 Commodore, assuming the tow bar mounts can bear the weight.

Of course my 'lil old Rolla wouldn't get far with 6 ton in tow, and I'm finding it hard to believe a V6 VP would either, but I'll just have to take your word for it.

also, i know you meant n/a 6's. and i expressed how rediculous of a comparision that is. remember most duties a v6 commodore will see it taking the kids to school or going on a long trip. however i still don't beleive a super 6 is a 100% fair comparision. the super 6 design was dated when it was first brought in back in 1996 lol. and it uses and unefficent blower on a pushrod engine in a much heavier car than the astra and limited to only an automatic transmission

either way, my main point was how rediculous your comparision was, which anyone with half a brain would have figured out anyway

How is comparing a 2.2L hatch to a 3.8L sedan ridiculous? (let's just take the FI versions out of the equation for a second). You talk about the Astra as if it was designed as a sports car, and has some kind of hidden advantage? They're both just average cars, the Commodore is a family sedan, the Astra is a frugal hatch. Neither of them are "serious cars", and they both have very similar power/weight ratios.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
...if i paid 60k for a car, i don't wanna sit in a tinny little shitbox with no space. yes, the idea of it going faster than a commodore with the same engine is true, and looks good on paper. but you don't seriously expect someone to say, screw my maloo ute, i'm buying a v8 astra....

So you speak for the whole world and everyone in it now do you? How can you just assume that you know exactly what people want? You do realise that if holden was to consider this, they would conduct proper research and investigation to determine if there was a market for 'shitbox v8's, and if there was, if it would be profitable to enter that market. They wouldn't just make a car and tell people to buy it.

most people with north of 60k to spend don't want they're car to resemble a car which is sold with a 4cyl at the local dealership for 19k brand new. and marketed as a fuel miser.

Doesn't the ~$80k VE GTS resemble the ~$30k VE Omega? Or am I completely off the ball park?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
So you speak for the whole world and everyone in it now do you? How can you just assume that you know exactly what people want? You do realise that if holden was to consider this, they would conduct proper research and investigation to determine if there was a market for 'shitbox v8's, and if there was, if it would be profitable to enter that market. They wouldn't just make a car and tell people to buy it.

Doesn't the ~$80k VE GTS resemble the ~$30k VE Omega? Or am I completely off the ball park?

Both ..very.. fair comments.