Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 cam selection

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
hey guys was just wondering if you could lend me a hand with my cam selection
ill try and give you as much information as i can

its for a VXII SS, 70,000 kms on it, auto.
Mods will be pacemakers, hi flows, and a twin 2.5 inch catback, OTR, and 4.11 diff gears.
Car isnt daily driven, so therefore i will be looking for a cam with an aggressive street presence/idle.

if you can steer me in the right direction that would be awesome

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
i'm not an expert on this but something in the high 220's to low 230's on a 112, but best advice i was given was go for a drive in some with different cam specs and see what you like, you might like how one feels to you over another, i went for a drive in a ls1 with a low to mid 230's from memory that was more for FI and i liked it but have gone for a mild cam as i have been driving mine a bit more than i thought i would lately and not putting a bigger torque converter in (unless my factory one gives up on me).

Give your local tuner or a couple of different tuners a call and explain what your looking at doing and if they have any cars or customers cars that you might be able to go for a drive in and see what you prefer.

macca33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Senator 300
The Comp 232/234 @112lsa off the shelf cam would be ideal for what you seem to want, coupled with a 3500 or so stall. Not my cup of tea, but it would be a stout package with the 4.11 diff.

cheers

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
The Comp 232/234 @112lsa off the shelf cam would be ideal for what you seem to want, coupled with a 3500 or so stall. Not my cup of tea, but it would be a stout package with the 4.11 diff.

cheers

whys that mate? is it a pig or?

as i said its more a project car, gets driven twice a week, once to work, once back again.

macca33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Senator 300
No, not saying that - it would be a very quick car, just that the cam isn't my cup of tea. I drive an M6 and have just put a 215/223 in mine, as i like smaller cams that come on earlier in a manual. In an auto, the stall converter puts you straight into the torque, so it doesn't create such issues.

cheers

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6

cheers

Spot on Macca but I would be going with a 3800 stall in that combo, you could even go 110lsa with the bigger stall would sound nuts.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice

cheers

that should see an 11 sec slip no probs either and will sound tuff as nails

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
thats what im after mate, thanks

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
im keen on fitting this cam...just want to know what else would i need to fit to get the most out of it?
most of the cars on youtube fitted with this cam have a twin 3 inch exhaust, i was just looking at a twin 2.5.
i know ill need new valve springs, what else would you guys run as well?
im looking at getting the most for my money the first time around.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Going in to get this cam and a stallie fitted
Bit worried about driving a stalled auto, does anyone have and problems driving a stalled auto day to day? Is it much different over standard?