Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] ls1 cam!

Discussion in 'LSx Development and Modification' started by 17UCK!, May 4, 2010.

1. 96SEN8R

96SEN8R New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS and VS Senator 215i
    Very true!! The higher the duration, the higher peak power will be, when you start going huge, you need to spin your engine to dangerous rpms to make peak power which means you need really efficient heads and manifold. Better off with a small duration cam with a tight LSA for a street car! the 226/231 110 is excellent with nice choppy idle. My mate has run 10.4 with a cam only ls1 and a shot of gas with this cam.

2. Andrewss

Andrewss New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS M6
    Just wanted to add that you need to talk with your tuner or som1 that has tuned a lot of camed ls1's. Ask them what camshafts worked best for them and what camshaft manufacturers they have found to be the best .
    Also make sure that you dial in the camshaft.
    I wouldnt buy a come racing or Crow camshaft, i have had bad cams from them.
    As for the underdriven balancer i don't think its really worth it for power, more for piece of mind that the old one doesnt fail.
    Myself if i wanted a big cam i would go somthink around 232-234, .600 lift, 110, maybe from isky or comp.

3. 17UCK!

17UCK! New Member

Members Ride:
    vs III commodore ute
    so the lsa the higher it is the lumpey the car will be?

4. [TOPGEAR]

[TOPGEAR] PUNISHER :)

Members Ride:
    VN SS + VS LS1 ute + VF SS Ute + VE Calais V
    im going to go with the 232/234 in mine, heard its a good option from other people other than on here.

also remember, bigger cam is not always better. ive seen smaller cams make more power than the bigger ones (stock bottom end)

5. Vt_vic

Vt_vic New Member

Members Ride:
    carless for now
    its not always about the dyno figure im heading towards the comp 222/224 and the fact it can be tuned for better fuel economy than a stock car

6. 96SEN8R

96SEN8R New Member

Members Ride:
    if your going for small duration, go for a tighter lobe sep to give u higher cylinder pressure.. trust me, ull end up wanting a bigger cam otherwise

7. Vt_vic

Vt_vic New Member

Members Ride:
    carless for now
    abouts 110 or 112 lsa??

8. 96SEN8R

96SEN8R New Member

Members Ride:
    definetly a 110! will make ur car feel alot quicker then a 112

Whos doing the work?

9. Vt_vic

Vt_vic New Member

Members Ride:
    carless for now
    does the comp 222/224 of the shelf come with a 110 or 112 lsa?

10. NVE_069

NVE_069 New Member

Members Ride:
    Wh Statesman LS1
    I have a 239/244 114 cam I am thinking on putting in mine. also have a 4200 stall aswell... im not after fuel eco.. engine is built to suit. not sure what figures might be..

11. 17UCK!

17UCK! New Member

Members Ride:
    vs III commodore ute
    i think im goin with a 232/234 around that. but ive heard that u can get about the same power and better fuel with some newer one cuz the 232/234 is an old cam aparently. just gota find out what it is haha :D

12. BradSV8

BradSV8 Nitrous Junkie

Members Ride:
    VY SV8
    No the higher LSA tends too smooth out the idle and gives a broader power band, a tighter LSA will make the idle choppy and tightens up the power band. As far as street cams go I prefer a smaller cam but tighter LSA. The car 96SEN8R is talking about is my car and it is awesome to drive on the street and is still good for mid 11's at the track.

13. bortous

bortous Mad max 101

Members Ride:
    VZ CLUBSPORT R8
    Hi guys.
    I have a VZ clubsport and Im about to do a big cam upgrade using 229/242 .631 .631 114LSA so its big one.
    When you do a big cam it is very important that you work the heads as big cams work like crap with stock heads and stock compression.
    Mine is auto, and I will be fitting a 3000rpm high stall converter, and a fast 102mm manifold, and using the l92 heads along with head work and 11:5.1 compression ratio bump.
    Im port matching the stock throttle body, the runners in the manifold and the extractor ports are also going to be port matched too. heads are expected to flow 360cfm at intake and 275CFM at the exhaust with my combo
    I just recently removed my difilippo 2.5 inch system (which is for sale at the moment) and replaced it with a custom 3 inch system as 2.5 inch does not flow anywhere near enough for my combination.
    It sounds a lot better and is only slightly louder and sounds unreal.
    With my combo I will be expecting approx 340-350rwkw and 700nm torque at rear wheels.
    My car is only a daily street car but will still drive very nicely but great care must be taken when driving on the road as the engine will be brutal as hell in its torque out put...

A camshaft like the one mentioned in these threads is a great camshaft 232/234 112LSA but with that tight lsa you will need headwork to get the most out of it.
    If anyone is interested in getting some more info or interested in my difilippo system, you are more than welcome to contact me.

14. bortous

bortous Mad max 101

Members Ride:
    VZ CLUBSPORT R8
    this cam is not suitable as a daily even when tuned right. The tight lsa would make it hard to drive.
    I know someone who has this cam and it idles at 1000rpm, and goes through fuel like no tomorrow.
    He has stock heads and it runs like crap. This cam is 111.5LSA so would need a lot of compression to make it work properly.

15. HRT 666

HRT 666 Cammed 8t-body stroker

Members Ride:
    VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
    ^^ a cam with 242 duration on the exhaust and .631" lift will need fly cut pistons!
    Also you will be wasting your time porting the stock t-body 76mm is no where near the 102mm opening of that intake manifold, just buy the correct t-body from the states at the same time you buy the manifold t-body is only $500 more.

16. Kingston_99

Kingston_99 383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!

Members Ride:
    VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
  17. BradSV8

BradSV8 Nitrous Junkie

Members Ride:
    VY SV8
    Rubbish my cam is on a 110 LSA,stock heads. It drives fine with a manual with an auto it would be even easier and has enough power to run 11.7@118mph in a full street trim. It still gets 12-17L/100 round the city and sub 10's on the highway.

I very much doubt you will get a true 340rwkw thru a stalled auto with just a cam and heads unless you are going FI aswell...How are you getting 11.5 comp? Are you putting a set of pistons in?

18. Fourlthree

Fourlthree New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS
    What other engine mod's are required to run this cam mate??