Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] ls1 cam!

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Just for something to hear, this is my old setup, 224/230 114LSA 608/612 with a full XForce exhaust. I've since changed to a custom Sureflo exhaust, still have the same cam but now have a blower on (still sounds similar).

Last edited by a moderator:

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
the 224 230 sounds nice as. cant wait till i get a cam. any1 got a vid of a really big cam?

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
what do the "Race 25% Under drive Balancer" do? why are they recomended?

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
oh. and im after a fairly lumpy cam. race car spec. but still driveable on street. but its NOT my daily so i can go something medium to large cam :)

THANXS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR :)

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
oh. and im after a fairly lumpy cam. race car spec. but still driveable on street. but its NOT my daily so i can go something medium to large cam :)

A 232/234 comp cam at 112 lsa would suit your needs well or go a bit bigger with 237/241 etc would need 4200 stally to get the most out of it.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
wikky, was that your car i went in at chevs not long before christmas time? if this is the same car then this is a very nice cam and drives well, plus leaves you with the option of forced induction later on or if not then 110 or 112 is the go from what iv heard, HRT666 its a manual, don't think he'll need the stally :D

i'm looking at a simmilar cam to wikky's should really get down to chevs and talk to him, been flat out on saturdays and haven't had a chance, hopefully this or next saturday i will get down there.

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
A 232/234 comp cam at 112 lsa would suit your needs well or go a bit bigger with 237/241 etc would need 4200 stally to get the most out of it.

cheers mate. i am thinking of goin 232/234. the 237/441 how much lumpyer/ more power would it have? over the 232/234. and i have a manual so no stally for me. how bad would it be 2 drive?

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
wikky, was that your car i went in at chevs not long before christmas time? if this is the same car then this is a very nice cam and drives well, plus leaves you with the option of forced induction later

Yeah mate, that would've been me who took you for a spin (happy to do so too).

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ

At the top end of the spectrum, pretty much the largest cam you can go in an LS1 (without fly cutting the pistons) is the Comp 242/248. But this cam needs to be tuned by someone who knows what they're doing, no margin for error. I know of a ute which had this cam and it was driven pretty much daily.
Best idea to hear different cams would be jump on YouTube.

Below is a vid of a GM Turbo Killer cam. Google it for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Just remember a big stick will never work realy good until you up the static compression and start working the heads.
A smaller cam will go just as quick if not quicker then wacking in a large cam with stock heads.

Hence a 232/234 would be about the most you should think about unless you wanna spend the bucks on heads as well.