Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 conversion

NS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Hey fellas!
After thinking long and hard I finally made the decision to go LS1 in the V6 Acclaim. So I have a few questions to anyone that’s done it.

1. Best engineer in Sydney to get a certificate through once it’s done?
2. I wanted to put a cam in while the motor is out and easy to work on but I know putting a cam in increases emissions. Can this be done and still pass emissions test for the engineering cert.?
3. Do they test emissions for the year of the car or year of the engine?
4. Are the tuff mounts conversion kit that suits the V6 k frame any good?
5. Best place to send the wiring harness off to spliced with the LS1?

Any help or advise on those questions would be awesome! I did speak to one engineer but he was a bit vague. So I figure I’d ask on here and surely one of you guys have done and been through all of this.
Cheers!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Source your engineer prior to starting work

Take it to them, or have them come to you to inspect and get some pre build guidelines, this will cost you

Engineers get 1000 people asking 1000 questions, out of those 1000 maybe 1 will actually pay for services

They get less vague when they are "on the books"

You could head into your local performance joint and ask who they use

Money talks......

NS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Source your engineer prior to starting work

Take it to them, or have them come to you to inspect and get some pre build guidelines, this will cost you

Engineers get 1000 people asking 1000 questions, out of those 1000 maybe 1 will actually pay for services

They get less vague when they are "on the books"

You could head into your local performance joint and ask who they use

Money talks......
Ahk yeh true, I can definitely understand the ‘money talks’ part. I might contact a performance place and ask as you said which engineer they use and go from there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you might be ok emissions wise with a cam. What he probably won't like is that it has a cam, which will be obvious.

NS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
I think you might be ok emissions wise with a cam. What he probably won't like is that it has a cam, which will be obvious.
Would the size of the cam make a difference? As in if I just had a mild cam put in rather than a big lumpy cam? Would the emissions be less with the smaller cam or it doesn’t make a difference emissions wise?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It may not be an issue anymore. But I remember a few years ago when only stock cams were allowed. I'd check with your engineer if he will pass a lumpy cam. There may even be different rules in different states, or the rules may have been abolished all together. But I've had mates defected for having cammed engines.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Would the size of the cam make a difference? As in if I just had a mild cam put in rather than a big lumpy cam? Would the emissions be less with the smaller cam or it doesn’t make a difference emissions wise?
Emissions do go up the “lumpier“ the cam is. Governments always have it both ways regarding emissions. You need to meet the emissions on the younger part of the car so you will need to comply with LS1 emissions.

This may or may not be difficult to achieve using a cam but you would be best off discussing that with an engine tuner.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It may not be an issue anymore. But I remember a few years ago when only stock cams were allowed. I'd check with your engineer if he will pass a lumpy cam. There may even be different rules in different states, or the rules may have been abolished all together. But I've had mates defected for having cammed engines.
I don’t think they can really defect you just for having a cam, it normally comes down to emissions compliance. Having said that cops will defect anything if they are in the mood and it’s your job and cost to prove them wrong. If you can get an engineer approval with the cam fitted your bulletproof.