Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 conversion

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
TBH I wouldn't bother with a cam. The better way to go would be get the engine in and passed, then go straight for a supercharger. You will have heaps better torque with an SC than a wild cam, which will make the car a prick to drive for everyday use.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't know if it was emissions it was a fair few years ago. But it was the local copper who slapped a canary on his windscreen and it was because it had a cam, which was pretty hard to disguise. .

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
TBH I wouldn't bother with a cam. The better way to go would be get the engine in and passed, then go straight for a supercharger. You will have heaps better torque with an SC than a wild cam, which will make the car a prick to drive for everyday use.
Supercharger isn’t as low key as a cam. I think the OP is only after a mild cam so an SC would be overkill.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Don't know if it was emissions it was a fair few years ago. But it was the local copper who slapped a canary on his windscreen and it was because it had a cam, which was pretty hard to disguise. .
I’ve not had any problems with my SSV even though it makes a fair bit of noise and has the crackle tune. It sounds like gunshots on overrun when on petrol so I make sure I’m on LPG if the boys in blue are nearby but it’s still pretty loud even on LPG. I’m 43 with a squeaky clean driving record though so they probably just let me be.

NS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Supercharger isn’t as low key as a cam. I think the OP is only after a mild cam so an SC would be overkill.
Yeh mate I’m only after a mild cam as it will purely be a weekend cruiser. I don’t want to go over the top with it, but I don’t want it completely stock. I just want it all to pass engineering but while the motor is out I wanted to do the cam if I could to make things a little easier.
I think my best bet is paying ls conversions in Sydney a visit. Glad I could get their contact details off here!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeh mate I’m only after a mild cam as it will purely be a weekend cruiser. I don’t want to go over the top with it, but I don’t want it completely stock. I just want it all to pass engineering but while the motor is out I wanted to do the cam if I could to make things a little easier.
I think my best bet is paying ls conversions in Sydney a visit. Glad I could get their contact details off here!
I think that's the go. If they can also organise engineering they will know what will and what won't pass.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’ve not had any problems with my SSV even though it makes a fair bit of noise and has the crackle tune. It sounds like gunshots on overrun when on petrol so I make sure I’m on LPG if the boys in blue are nearby but it’s still pretty loud even on LPG. I’m 43 with a squeaky clean driving record though so they probably just let me be.
I've not had trouble either but like you I try to avoid giving a copper a reason to pull me over. Reason I said SC was because it will be straight forward without a cam. And an SC can be put on afterwards once you have the pass. I have a lumpy cam and its fairly mild. But it makes the ute harder to drive, and only comes onto the power band from about 3k on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I remember when the Moni came out, a place in Melbourne was mounting twin TCs down low out of sight and they made the LS1 at the time go like stink.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
add a brake upgrade and do the modified vt -vy booster/mc and that can be engineered too one thing they look for is to make sure it can stop with the more powerful engine