Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 conversion

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Im gonna say what you might not want to hear...buy a genuine v8 car,,,If Holdens do go up in value it will be the genuine models that make the cut...modded cams etc will come second to stock standard, matching numbers....my 10 cents
Well of course thats true but if your just looking for your own enjoyment or a genuine V8 is already out of your price range a conversion could be a good idea.

Prices are already completely ridiculous and it’s just about cheaper to convert a V6 into a V8 especially if you were doing most of the work yourself. You can buy a VE Omega for $3000 but any manual V8 of the same car is $20000 or more.

So you’ve got $17000 to spend before you even get up to the cost of a manual V8. Autos make a bit less sense as you can still pick them up for $15000 but still, you’ve got $12000 you can spend before its a break even proposition.

If your not interested in resale (I’m not and I’ve got a genuine manual VE SSV) and only want it for your own enjoyment an engine conversion is an eminently valid proposition.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Well of course thats true but if your just looking for your own enjoyment or a genuine V8 is already out of your price range a conversion could be a good idea.

Prices are already completely ridiculous and it’s just about cheaper to convert a V6 into a V8 especially if you were doing most of the work yourself. You can buy a VE Omega for $3000 but any manual V8 of the same car is $20000 or more.

So you’ve got $17000 to spend before you even get up to the cost of a manual V8. Autos make a bit less sense as you can still pick them up for $15000 but still, you’ve got $12000 you can spend before its a break even proposition.

If your not interested in resale (I’m not and I’ve got a genuine manual VE SSV) and only want it for your own enjoyment an engine conversion is an eminently valid proposition.
Im a purist.... and I dont have a open wallet...Ive got a tidy 2001 vx calais international ,I could put a senator body kit on it and it would still be a Calais.....lol....I hear what your saying ... good luck with the mods.... Im just happy to have a genuine car even though its an oldie.... If i look after it and dont thrash it....It will see me through to the next decade easy....160k's...Its still got plenty of life in it....

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Modified good - Standard bad

NS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Im gonna say what you might not want to hear...buy a genuine v8 car,,,If Holdens do go up in value it will be the genuine models that make the cut...modded cams etc will come second to stock standard, matching numbers....replicas will always be replicas..my 10 cents
My mat

Like you said mate, it’s purely for my enjoyment and to keep. I’ve had a few commodores in my time, one being a very nice VS clubby but my favourite was my first VR acclaim V6 15 years ago. Probably for nostalgic reasons. But I always wanted it back (but in a V8) so I found an acclaim the same and decided on the conversion. Yeh a genuine V8 would be better for resale and to have as a piece of history I guess but for me I’m not to fussed. If I keep if for 20 years I’m sure the resale will still be decent.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it's a w55 or w58 5 speed bugger a 3.08 needs 4.1's minimum haha. Is that what you were getting at achoo?

Cause I've owned a set of 3.7's someone had fitted into one of my Silvia's and I was like na what is this few weeks later , 4.3 auto diff fitted thank you very much haha.

It a case of me fitting what is practical for the what the car is being used for.....For Achoo, it's a case of clutching at straws trying to justify his comments, as it was shown with firstly his combo comment, then moving on to the tune comment....

How ever at the end of the day, having a larger cam over stock does mean more revs to get a car moving, which is what you mentioned and different to what Shane has said :)

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Im a purist.... and I dont have a open wallet...Ive got a tidy 2001 vx calais international ,I could put a senator body kit on it and it would still be a Calais.....lol....I hear what your saying ... good luck with the mods.... Im just happy to have a genuine car even though its an oldie.... If i look after it and dont thrash it....It will see me through to the next decade easy....160k's...Its still got plenty of life in it....
I’m not modding my SSV any more than it already was when I bought it (full exhaust, CAI, tune). I’m happy with it how it is except for replacing the gearbox and maybe getting it retuned to improve part open throttle response in traffic.

Im not planning on ever getting rid of it but if I did I could probably restore it back to factory easy enough and in any case it’s only going to be worth marginally less modded. The big value increase from unmodded cars comes with limited/special editions.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Because everyone in tasmania is **** at tuning a ls
Ok smart arse, then why is mine hard to drive in low revs, and cam hops? It needs a fair amount of throttle to get going.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Why are people always worried about prices in the future build what you want how you want and drive it no good sitting in a garage looking pretty
Im gonna say what you might not want to hear...buy a genuine v8 car,,,If Holdens do go up in value it will be the genuine models that make the cut...modded cams etc will come second to stock standard, matching numbers....replicas will always be replicas..my 10 cents

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Because everyone in tasmania is **** at tuning a ls
That's annoying as I will be looking for a tuner in the new year. Having said that mine was tuned in Melbourne.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
If it's a w55 or w58 5 speed bugger a 3.08 needs 4.1's minimum haha. Is that what you were getting at achoo?
It a case of me fitting what is practical for the what the car is being used for.....For Achoo, it's a case of clutching at straws trying to justify his comments, as it was shown with firstly his combo comment, then moving on to the tune comment....

How ever at the end of the day, having a larger cam over stock does mean more revs to get a car moving, which is what you mentioned and different to what Shane has said

For the %^&~# time can you please stop twisting other peoples replies directed to me ... Not You To the clutching straws comment, You make a comment about larger cams needing more revs to get a car moving,,,,, Well thats generic statement that shows lack of experience with cams and proper tuning for carby cars.
Revs (carby/ies) are part of the TUNE, along with the timing and valvetrain.
So at end of day if your car/cam is tuned properly and running/idling properly, it wont need extra revs to get it moving unless your on a steep slope with a manual.