Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 conversion

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
About 15 years ago I looked at a VT SS sedan for $4.5K with very bad clear coat peeling and I passed. Ended up getting a ZX-6R.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
As I said, you're clutching at straws making comments about the tune of my car, when you have no idea the tune of it...First it's the gearbox ratios and my diff gearing, now the tune
Whats there to tune or drive on the road, as you posted a lil while back to having a defect notice on the car and no rego. Regency defect inspections dont like cams ;)
How hard is it to use a timing light on a carby 6cyl, how hard is it to recon a carby, how hard is it to adjust valve train and set cam in and set the idle and fast idle with auto/manual choke, how hard is it to set the spark plugs @ a child can do it, nothing complex, its not rocket science.

Diff and geabox ratios determine how the power output of engine/cam is delivered and put down on the road and the driving attributes of the combo, no straws are harmed in the process, just personal choices on what gearbox/diff are used. Obviously the TUNE will affect the delivery in conjunction with the chosen ratios, known as cause n affect.
Low diff ratios used with a cam are not good matches from all the well documented facts have already proven.

So what I'd suggest is, you arrange a time to come over, tune my car and let me know the gearbox ratios and diff gearing, so your advise is proven to be true and what I say is a myth....

Oh and I'd also like to know when you have been driving my car to make these assumptions, because I haven't been around when it occurs
What you posted ^^^^ above is absolutely nonsense @ fake bs news @ nothing relevant with this post discussion or any known true events.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
About 15 years ago I looked at a VT SS sedan for $4.5K with very bad clear coat peeling and I passed. Ended up getting a ZX-6R.
You have my style of impulse

As for my VX SS, it had 115k km on it when I got it, 5 years ago it was worth about $5-6k, I (overpaid) bought for $13k a year and a half ago

Was it worth it, financially it was stupid, but, luckly I'm one of those guys who went to watch the V8's race, and visit Bathurst whenever I was able

I was indoctrinated into V8's from the 70's, tv advertising always had some dude with his V8, smoking ciggies, and a hot babe or two hanging off him

Meh

And a ZX6R.........., yeap, I miss my old 636
20180807_093946.thumb.jpg.b3923f288a43524de96bd7263eadd5a0.jpg

And yeap, that orange thing on the left was my limited edition, turbocharged Toyota 86 that I backed into a wall at speed, hence the need for a new old car was born, and bing bang boom, a big red commodore filled in the hole

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Whats there to tune or drive on the road, as you posted a lil while back to having a defect notice on the car and no rego. Regency defect inspections dont like cams ;)
How hard is it to use a timing light on a carby 6cyl, how hard is it to recon a carby, how hard is it to adjust valve train and set cam in and set the idle and fast idle with auto/manual choke, how hard is it to set the spark plugs @ a child can do it, nothing complex, its not rocket science.

Diff and geabox ratios determine how the power output of engine/cam is delivered and put down on the road and the driving attributes of the combo, no straws are harmed in the process, just personal choices on what gearbox/diff are used. Obviously the TUNE will affect the delivery in conjunction with the chosen ratios, known as cause n affect.
Low diff ratios used with a cam are not good matches from all the well documented facts have already proven.

What you posted ^^^^ above is absolutely nonsense @ fake bs news @ nothing relevant with this post discussion or any known true events.

You're the one making these claims about the car, so why not make the time to fix these alledged issues you claim it has....

The marvellous defected car....It's still at old mates house...Still waiting to hear when you want to say things to his face and where....If it is at his place, you get to see the car as well and give your expert opinion over it....

As for me posting nothing relevant....Read your posts and back up your claims...Or doesn't dear old grandpa approve of you leaving home to do such things?

Last edited:

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
10 to 20 years in the future

All the "Car guys" will be lusting over VAG's with fart tunes, or some electric car that pulls 11's of the factory floor

The problem with the old V8 platform is, the kids aren't lusting after them now

V8 commodore and falcons are viewed by the youth as bogan cars for old guys, what they want is Euro fart boxes, which actually out perform most Aussie V8's

They are not brought up watching Bathurst, or going to Holden car shows, if they are into cars it's the Euro and JDM scene

Old V8 Commodores aren't fashionable, 4x4, Euro, electric and hybrid are what's hip

Sure there will be a few classic cars that someone wants in 20 or 20 years because "my grandfather had one"

As for the price people are asking, they don't seem to be moving, or they get pulled, then readvertised a while later

Cultures change whether your ready for it or want it

Meh

I guess it’ll be us who keep the market going in future years, much like the guys buying the HKs etc, are the ones who had one when they were young, or always wanted one, and can now finally afford one (maybe not for something like a GTS, they’re mental)

I am surprised at the kids all wanting 4x4s these days?? It used to be Commodore drivers that were the idiots, now it’s Hilux, ranger and the like that are the idiots on the road. Maybe it’s just young men in general that drive like entitled assholes, but that’s another argument for another day.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It used to be Commodore drivers that were the idiots, now it’s Hilux, ranger and the like that are the idiots on the road.
****Controversial comment incoming****

Correct. State governments did a pretty good job of destroying the local car industry by making it illegal to do basically anything at all on public roads in a sedan.

All the dickheads moved to 4x4s as a consequence so they can go be dickheads off road where they can’t be harassed by the boys in blue.

Just have a look at the BS they get up to on the beaches on Fraser Island. If that was anywhere on public roads they would have a million police cars there by lunchtime shutting it all down but because it’s “just a beach” they can carry on being dickheads without persecution!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
****Controversial comment incoming****

Correct. State governments did a pretty good job of destroying the local car industry by making it illegal to do basically anything at all on public roads in a sedan.

All the dickheads moved to 4x4s as a consequence so they can go be dickheads off road where they can’t be harassed by the boys in blue.

Just have a look at the BS they get up to on the beaches on Fraser Island. If that was anywhere on public roads they would have a million police cars there by lunchtime shutting it all down but because it’s “just a beach” they can carry on being dickheads without persecution!

The old Commodore/Falcon car scene was it's own worse enemy, chopped springs, obnoxiously loud exhausts, kids doing skids everywhere, lots of crashes, stickers covering every spare bit of glass, fully modified race cars with numer plates, it was a disaster waiting to happen

And people wondered why they were targeted

As for the 4be brigade, one of the young guys at work spent a fortune on doing up his "truck" over covid, one of the things he spent a huge amount of coin on was massive rims and mud tyres that stuck out past his guards by about 25mm, he was defected for them not ago, he is now back to his his stock wheels and tyres

The funny thing is he doesn't actually do alot of 4 wheel driving, and he uses the thing as a commuter

So what he actually built was a big fat "truck" that handled like **** on the road, was illegal, had less power and drank fuel like a champion

So much like cars from the "old car scene" we loved so much

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The old Commodore/Falcon car scene was it's own worse enemy, chopped springs, obnoxiously loud exhausts, kids doing skids everywhere, lots of crashes, stickers covering every spare bit of glass, fully modified race cars with numer plates, it was a disaster waiting to happen

And people wondered why they were targeted

As for the 4be brigade, one of the young guys at work spent a fortune on doing up his "truck" over covid, one of the things he spent a huge amount of coin on was massive rims and mud tyres that stuck out past his guards by about 25mm, he was defected for them not ago, he is now back to his his stock wheels and tyres

The funny thing is he doesn't actually do alot of 4 wheel driving, and he uses the thing as a commuter

So what he actually built was a big fat "truck" that handled like **** on the road, was illegal, had less power and drank fuel like a champion

So much like cars from the "old car scene" we loved so much
Yeah, there was a lot of dodgy shite happening especially with car mods but a lot of it back then was purely because younger kids didn’t have the money so would get the old Ryobi out to chop springs or chop the muffler out.

Of course that doesn’t make it right but it’s the way it was. Now most young people just pay mechanics to do everything because they can. In my day that wasn’t an option for the majority of young people, you either fixed it yourself with parts from the wreckers or you weren’t driving anywhere.

I remember when I was younger and basically no one that was a P plater had a new car of any type, even small hatchbacks. Most P platers were driving VB-VL Commodores or XD-EA Falcons when I first left school around 1995 so even the youngest vehicles were a decade old at that point (except the EA which was such a POS no one wanted it so we’re relatively cheap early on).

Now you see tonnes of P platers driving around in brand new cars. Admittedly most of them are hatchbacks but still shows how far we’ve come. My first car (1960s Datsun 1600) cost $800 and was about as basic as you can get, didn’t even have retractable seatbelts.

The big thing that killed car culture here is the “move on“ laws. Before then you could just sit on the side of the road or in a car park with your mates and have a “car meet”. Now you will be moved on by the police.

Looking at the car meet culture in America they still have what we lost in the early 2000s because they won’t stand for being told where they are allowed to be in a free country. Unfortunately here we have just accepted it because we weren’t founded as a free country and don’t even have a bill of rights to give us any primacy over the government.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
My first car was my Dads old HZ kingswood (should’ve kept it, like so many of the others over the years) I remember a guy at school when we were all year 12 had a VS Equipe, and everyone was amazed, as if it was a brand new car (would’ve only been 6 years old maybe) but P platers were rolling around in VNs at best most the time, and heaps in little beaten up **** boxes that probably wouldn’t be allowed on the roads these days. Was gunna say it wasn’t even that long ago, but coming up 20 years, so I guess it is!!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
The "move on" laws were more about the antisocial behaviour that was going on, drinking, drugs, skids and loud noise