Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 coversion to ls2 crate motor mods etc

wizzard139

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtss
hi i just bought an ls2 6ltr crate motor to replace my ls1 1999 vt ss wot mods do i have to do eg wiring, throttle body ,ecu,etc cheers wizza:thumbsup:

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
im not 100% sure, but i know Eagle Auto Parts sell the wirring loom kits, its a ls2 controller kit, has everything from engine harness to ecu to accelerator pedal, oxy sensor, etc, probably worth a look, may save some hassles of fidling and cutting looms, etc.

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
not exactly a cheap excersise to properly convert it.

Is it an early 24x LS2? or the later VE LS2?

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
you can buy a box now so you dont have to pull the crank out to change the reluctor wheel to suit the ls1 computor

wizzard139

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtss
its the 6.0 vz 24 tooth reluctor i was also thinking of puting a blower on it can anyone recomend the best set up 4 it top or side blower cheers

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
you can buy a box now so you dont have to pull the crank out to change the reluctor wheel to suit the ls1 computor

Personally i wouldnt trust it, it is yet to be proven over a long time. Afterall it is electrical, what would happen if it failed at 6000rpm?

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
the company that produces those modules has sold 1000's and we have sold over 30 of them ... if the module were to fail it would be much the same as your ecu failing at 6000rpm

sure beats pulling the crank out

:whistling

as for the original question you will need

8 injector adaptors
map ext harness
cam ext harness
knock sensor ext harness
either 2 new or use existing ls1 knock sensors and mount into side of block
tune in 5.7L PCM to suit 6.0L
90mm 4 bolt Cable throttle body
either new IAC and TPS or use exisitng 5.7L ones

easy as :thumbsup:

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Once my engine was on the stand it was pretty easy to pull the crank out and change the reluctor, we changed the rod bolts while we were at it... also while it was on the stand you'd be stupid not to put a cam in it.

So why would u want to use a module? they worked out to be a hell of a lot dearer than changing the reluctor, and that money u save can go towards other bits and pieces.

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
Once my engine was on the stand it was pretty easy to pull the crank out and change the reluctor, we changed the rod bolts while we were at it... also while it was on the stand you'd be stupid not to put a cam in it.

So why would u want to use a module? they worked out to be a hell of a lot dearer than changing the reluctor, and that money u save can go towards other bits and pieces.

not every one would feel compendent on doing that i no i wouldnt its the same reason i got some one who knows what there doing to build my ls3 stroker motor

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
i didnt do it myself, Willall racing did it, but it looked pretty simple if you had the right tools which i do not have.