Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 cross 8 engine removal for LS gemini conversion. Do i leave the sump in the car?

LSGEMINI

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 Gemini
Hi im new to this forum thought i join as i am stepping up to a ls iv got no idea what im doing. I'm building a ls gemini ive got a wrecked ls1 cross 8 and looking to throw engine in my gem ive got most of the stuff worked out mounts wiring etc for when i get the motor out but im just wondering if i leave the sump in the car n drop the trans out then lift the motor off the sump or dismantle the drive shaft to take my motor out of the ute?.. any ideas whats easiest iv only got a engine crane no hoist.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
is it is actual Cross 8? or just a Crewman? Cross8 would have a front diff and is AWD.

It is a lot easier to drop the engine and trans the way that the factory did it. Unbolt it all and drop it out from under the car. Basically undo the struts and K frame bolts, the steering and all the wiring, as well as the gearbox mounts and then lift the body off leaving the engine, trans and front wheels on the ground. A hoist is great for this.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Out the bottom is easier but if not possible then top is fine too.

Here's a write up for dropping it out the bottom
How to remove the engine from the bottom - LS1 fbody - LS1TECH

You can take engine and trans out in one go but it's a fair bit of jiggling around to get it out, definitely need two people or more if doing it this way.

Plenty of info online and make sure you have a manual.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=removing+ls1+engine&oq=removing+ls1+engine&aqs=chrome..69i57.5810j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=removing+ls1+engine